PDA

View Full Version : NW Ohio half pint

Fireman
03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Greetings everyone! Newby to the larger scale this year. Flows seem to be come and go, but very happy overall. I have been tapped for about 2 weeks now. I haul my sap to an Amish fellow who cooks for me. I have found the enormous need to be boiling on my own. Does anyone have a half pint evaporator within about 2 hours of Findlay? I have lots of questions about it and would like to travel to see one working. As you can tell from my username, I am a Firefighter. I have heard that the recommended taps listed with each evaporator is for 6 hours of boiling each day. I work 24 hrs on and 48 off. So I have the time to boil each day for longer than 6 hours. I want to do baby steps (real tough!) and build slowly. I posted this in Ohio tapping hoping someone from Ohio would have a half pint to look at. Thanks for your help!

RC Maple
03-01-2012, 04:29 PM
I just sent you a private message - I had never done it and it was an excuse to try it. There is a half pint running day and night here in Pandora and he told me to send you his phone number. Let me know if you didn't get the message. 20 minutes beats 2 hours.

christopherh
03-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Welcome Fireman! you found the right place. Lots of good info on this site and great folks! Goodluck!

Fireman
03-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Thank you for the welcome! I got the message just fine RC Maple. You are right, 20 minutes is nice! I was looking for anything within 2 hours and I really lucked out. Still in the learning phase, and man, everytime you turn around there is new info to consider. John was a HUGE help. Thanks again!

RC Maple
03-01-2012, 09:52 PM
It's my first year doing this too. I've had a lot of help and learned a lot from this site. Good luck to you.