PDA

View Full Version : Harm if pan hangs over the edge of arch flame ??

TerryEspo
03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I may be thinking crazy, but here goes.

I have a old steel pan that I want to replace so not looking to use it unless I really have to. It is 24 x 48, that fits my arch perfect.

I also have another pan (stainless) that is say, 24 x 58. I am thinking to use the stainless pan on the arch, problem is 10" or so will hang over and have no flame under it.

The 48" with flame under it will boil great. This gets me away from useing the old steel pan that fits properly.

Think it would work for me to use the oversized stainless pan??

Input is appreciated.

Thank-you.

Terry

jake1
03-01-2012, 10:12 AM
will that 10 inches be in the back or near your drawoff? i think it could be tricky in the front if its near your drawoff but you could get away with it just have to move sap around more, if it was in the back you could just see it as a preheater, just start your sap it the cool part of the pan and the gradient should draw it out, just a throught.

spencer11
03-01-2012, 10:13 AM
yeah it would work. could you extend the arch if there is time? but it will work as is.

spencer

TerryEspo
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Wow, thanks for the fast replies. Glad to hear no harm in doing that. Sadly the end that hangs over is my spout end. The back end has my chimney pipe and an angle iron border stopping the pan from going too far back.

But, I dont draw off, only do batches anyways. Useing that front 10" will be perfect to drip new sap into the pan, I just need to extend my copper preheater tubing to now reach the front area.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Terry

spencer11
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
what about flipping the pan around so you draw off in the back?

spencer

TerryEspo
03-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Good idea.

I think if I spin the pan around maybe the drian sprout would hit the back of the frame of the arch, maybe even hit the stove pipe. I will be going out back today to check that out.

Thanks.

Terry

PerryW
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
is there some way you could insulate the part of the pan that is not over the fire?

spencer11
03-01-2012, 01:24 PM
if you put a elbow on the draw off and a short peice of pipe with a valve it might work if you flip the pan. you could always cut a noch out of that angle on the back? as long as it dosent hit the stack.

spencer

TerryEspo
03-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Well, I went and checked it out.

I can flip the stainless pan and the spout is not in the way, the spout will be fine.

What is not perfect is there is angle iron stopping the pan from going back all the way, but if the angle wasn,t there I would only gain approx. 2 ", not really worth it in my opinion to hack away at the arch frame, she's old and fragile !!

My stainless has no dividers.

Will the pan still allow me to draw off at the (hot) spout end if I put the new sap at the (cold) overhanging end? I have never drawn off before.

Thanks.

Terry

spencer11
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
if its just a batch at a time, i dont really think it matters that much where you add raw sap from??? if it boils better nexr the draw off i guess i would add the raw sap at the other end, but im not sure if it matters.

spencer

slb
03-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Terry, With a batch pan, when the syrup is ready, its ready. It takes alonnggg time to boil but when things start to happen it happens real fast. If you start to draw off what is left in your pan will scorch and burn. I've had the best luck just taking whole pan off arch, let it cool, pour it in another container and check it, { pour it over a bowl snow for the kids} they will tell you if it is syrup or not. If its not,finish it on a big ss stew pot on a gas log. when you take pan off of fire just put an old pcs of tin over fire till your ready to go again. My thought would be weld 2 handles to your steel pan and go for broke, if your not happy, go to plan B with ss pan........... regards slb