PDA

View Full Version : Sap Flow Question

Troutman10
02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
I've been looking at the long term forecast for my area and see that next week there is supposed to be a warmup. The daytime temps say somewhere between 40-50 and nights in the mid 30's to 40 for a few days in a row. If the forecast comes true then will the above temps mess with sap production? I'm new so I'm just wondering what happens if things don't freeze up overnight for a series of days?

PerryW
02-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Assuming NO vacuum...
When you have a hard freeze, but then (for example) three days of mid 30's to 40's, Usually, it will run good during the first day, then slow down to a trickle at night. Then the second day, you may get a half-hearted run (or very little) and on the third day, you get almost nothing. On multi-day warmups, you pray that the temps stay cool and cloudy to preserve the season,

If you are early in the season, and things haven't really got going (or the sap reaaly wants to run), sometimes the sap will run fairly steadily for the entire three days and you will get a real good run.

wnybassman
02-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah, it will do as Perry said. First day after a good freeze will get things going and they will run good all night the first night above freezing. The second day the smaller trees will start to drop off in put-out but the big trees will still be going halfway decent. By the third day the small trees will have virtually nothing in the buckets, the big trees slow WAY down, sugar moths start hanging out in the buckets and you find yourself on your knees praying for cold to return. lol