PDA

View Full Version : A little help with insulating my evaporator please?

DSKUP
02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding insulation of my new evaporator. I've read a gazillion threads on this site, but still can't figure out a few things.

My unit has horizontal side rails for support of split fire brick. I've read that I should place ceramic blanket or board between the walls of the evaporator and the brick. This being the case, how would I secure the brick? I would think that without the blanket, I would use refractory mortor or cement to "glue" the brick to the side walls? But if there is blanket in between, what' the approach?

Second question- On areas where the brick lies on the blanket, the blanket will of course be compressed. I've read that compressed insulation does not function so well. So what is the benefit of using both in this situation?

Any advice would be greately appreciated!!

northwoods_forestry
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
You may want to consider using "arch board" vs. ceramic blanket. It will not compress and will provide better insulation. Arch board is also a lot easier to install. As to the question regarding holding the brick in place against the blanket (or arch board) I'm not sure. On my evaporator I was able to stack the brick in without a problem as the sides of the arch lean outwards just enough to allow gravity hold them in place.

DSKUP
02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My arch was made by an independent machine shop. I'm already descovering there are construction features that dedicated maple equipment manufacturers employ that have a definite purpose, which the "amateurs" may not be aware of. Case in point, the sides that lean outward to support fire brick! Ugh!

Well, unfortunately mine has vertical walls. Any ideas out there as to how I can affix insulation and fire brick? The side walls have two rails each, such that two rows of brick can be inserted. The other problem is that there is only about 1/4" of space left in the rail once a 1.25" brick is inserted. If I used a 1/2" blanket, it would compress and could be tucked in there.

Again, I appreciate any advice.

sams64
03-01-2012, 06:11 AM
I know all about insulation, but, not a whole lot about evaporators so hopefully one of the more experienced guys can vet this idea. My plan when I build an arch for next year was to use ceramic blanket and a layer of perforated steel. The steel will conduct some heat to the surface where it is attached, however, it will protect tehinsulation from losing loft, and therefore effectiveness.

sam

berryrd
03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm also having problems sticking the fire brick to the arch board. I tried using refracktory cement but the bricks started falling apart after two boils. One person told me to coat the entire fire box with the cement. My arch is homemade with verticle sides. I was wondering if I could have big pieces of fire brick cut to fit my arch-does fire brick material come in slabs? Clay

sbingham
03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I lined my 2x6 with 3/8" ceramic blanket, then cut the firebricks to fit.
The bricks fit fairly snug and seems to work out very well without any cement. I cooked on it all last year with no problems at all.
I hope to build a sugar shack in the next year or so and will be moving the arch, so I did not want to cement at this time.
Once it is in it's final position, I figured on cementing the bricks in at that time.
There were some pictures posted on WF Mason's website of a bricking job on one of his "hobby units".
You have to pick a starting point and build off from it.