PDA

View Full Version : Canning Syrup? (vs bringing whole batch to 185F)

Groves
02-29-2012, 10:37 AM
We're small time: 3-6 gallons a year

I've done filter in the past, but you do lose a lot compared to the total we make.

I'm letting it settle this year instead of filtering.

I'll decant into a separate container and then....

Option 1, the traditional one: bring whole mass of syrup to 185 or 190, then put into bottles/jars and tip over to kill any spores.

Can I instead fill the jars first, seal them and then bring them up to 185?

happy thoughts
02-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Good question. How will you know you've reached an internal temp of 185F in each jar? That's the temp you need, the one inside the container. If you're talking something like a boiling water bath, you're only going to be able to test the temp of the water. At least that's my thinking.

Groves
02-29-2012, 10:49 AM
the water won't be boiling, the water will be at whatever temp I eventually want the syrup to be at.

Very easy to do with a setup like you'd normally use for canning.

I would expect I'd just keep them in the 185-190 bath for 15-20min or so. The insides should heat up by then, I'd think.

happy thoughts
02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
The insides should heat up by then, I'd think.

That's the trick part. You can't be sure without testing the syrup in the jar. Also, how long to hold at that temp is going to be dependent on the temp of the syrup going into the bottle. Cold syrup will need a longer time to reach the temp of the water bath. I'm sure it could be done but being sure it's done is another matter :)

Personally, I'd rather put the time and effort into doing it the normal way. You can be reasonably sure of a good seal and a safe product. That may end up being less work and taking less time than the shortcut. But again, just my own way of thinking:)

PerryW
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
i think it would work. It would also have the advantage of less chance of introduction of foreign matter into the syrup (vs. heating it up in a sauce pan)

But it would be prudent to immediately open one of the jars and check the temp to make sure.

I heat mine to 198, standardize, refilter and stop canning when the therm drops below 185

lpakiz
02-29-2012, 08:20 PM
We place the filled jars in the water bath canner without the lids. Don't fill too full at first. Monitor the temp of the syrup. When the syrup measures 185, top off if necessary. Check temp again. Remove and install lids and rings. Works for us....

Cake O' Maple
02-29-2012, 08:54 PM
We place the filled jars in the water bath canner without the lids. Don't fill too full at first. Monitor the temp of the syrup. When the syrup measures 185, top off if necessary. Check temp again. Remove and install lids and rings. Works for us....

Awesome idea! I hope this means there is no sugar sand formed from this method?