PDA

View Full Version : Which one should I buy...

DonMcJr
02-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Well the wife said I should buy an evaporator... So which should I get?:cool:

The Leader Half Pint or the lil shaver?

whalems
02-29-2012, 09:57 AM
might look at this one as well. http://www.wfmasonwelding.com/evaporators.html
you will not find any one with a bad thing to say about Bills work. and He is great to work with. Good luck with your decission. And Any wife that encourages sugaring purchases is a keeper!!:cool:

Starting Small
02-29-2012, 10:10 AM
My opinion, go with Bill Mason. Incredible service, great workmanship and cannot beat the price. I would splurge for a blower too. The only issue I see with that is since you live in Michigan I do not know how much the shipping would run you. No matter where you decide to buy, go one size bigger than you think you need. That way you will only need to buy a bigger one once!

Josh Nickles
02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Smoky Lake Maple Products. If your in the Midwest especially. Nothing better, guaranteed. Go to Smoky Lake Maple.

Dill
02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Are you looking for this season or next? I would caution against buying one new now if you can wait. There are always people moving up around here and I can almost guarantee you'll see plenty of those size evaps for sale after the season ends much cheaper than new.

whalems
02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Smoky Lake Maple Products. If your in the Midwest especially. Nothing better, guaranteed. Go to Smoky Lake Maple.
Can't argue with you on the looks of smoky lake's pans but do they make complete evaporators?

Starting Small
02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Also do they have prices on their website? I could not seem to find any.

acerrubrum
02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Depending on what your up for, consider making one yourself. I read a lot and looked at a lot and in the end decided to buy the pans and build the arch. It's a pretty economical way to go, the pans cost me $600 ( SS 2x4 pan and a 12"x24" preheater with shipping) and the steel for the arch is galvanized sheet and angle which is old bed frames i scavenged. Aside from the pans, I only have another $200 or so into it, including the galv. sheet, some used firebrick, insulation board, and plumbing parts for valves etc. I have only had a test boil so far, but it almost seems to big for me. I'm guessing I need a 100 gallons of sap just to get going. Here's a picture, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

CTfarm
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I am really enjoying my 2x3 with blower from Bill Mason. I went with a batch pan with no dividers though.
5538 5539

PerryW
02-29-2012, 02:27 PM
go bigger. you will never be sorry.

smokeyamber
02-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Go bigger ... At least a 2x4 with blower, if you are planning on a sugar house then go big with that too.... You will expand, it all comes from seeing all those trees that you "could" tap. You will tap them all so figure that out first and then go from there in sizing. If I had done that I would have built a bigger arch the first time around ! ;)

judgejp
02-29-2012, 04:25 PM
I have to third or fourth Bill Masons product. Great workmanship and functionality. I have to say go bigger as well as I maxed out my 2x3 in just 2 years and am looking to upgrade next season

Russell Lampron
02-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Another recommendation for Bill Mason's evaporators. I have known Bill for years and haven't had any problems with any of the equipment that I have had him build for me. Get the evaporator that will work for you for a few years and then get an RO machine.

DonMcJr
03-01-2012, 03:25 AM
Well Bill's Evaporators look top notch! I'll have to see how long the sap flows good...I will be ready to buy one Mid March and if I can boil on it this year I want to!

I'm just at a loss if I want to do a batch pan or the leader draw off...

Never used or saw a draw off...and haven't been abke to find any good videos on YouTube etc on how the draw off works...

I'm only gonna be able to be a small outfit unless I buy more property and move but you never know...I have quite a few reds and sugars and a ton of box elders! I'm gonna tap 2 box elders this weekend and keep the sap seperate and boil it and see the taste difference...

Starting Small
03-01-2012, 04:44 AM
You will not be able to buy one from Bill this year, he is sold out by now. He builds his to order. You can put an order in now for next season though. Unless you can find a used one in your area. Good luck.

SapZilla
03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Can't argue with you on the looks of smoky lake's pans but do they make complete evaporators? I have a neighbor outside of Lansing that has a complete unit from Smoky Lake Maple. Smoky Lake is professional grade equipment for a very fair price. I have one of their electric water jacket bottlers and a front pan. Truly, the stuff is artwork.

whalems
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I have a neighbor outside of Lansing that has a complete unit from Smoky Lake Maple. Smoky Lake is professional grade equipment for a very fair price. I have one of their electric water jacket bottlers and a front pan. Truly, the stuff is artwork.

I will be purchasing a 4x7 drop flue pan from them for next season so I do really like his craftmanship. I just didn't see anywhere on his web site where he did complete evaporators. What size is your neighbors? What was the approximate cost?