PDA

View Full Version : Foaming boil?

eustis22
02-29-2012, 07:03 AM
I'm finding my homemade steel box arch is working better than I expected (target 5 GPH, actual 7-8 gph) but I have a question....at times it seems my fire gets too hot as my back pan, which use as my syrup starts doing a foaming boil. When this happens, I back the fire off and close off some draft.

My question is...foaming boiling...bad or good? I know it's bad when I'm finishing but when I'm still evaporating?

spencer11
02-29-2012, 07:32 AM
that happens to me to when my fire gets to hot. i burn pallets, and i found that if i put one peice of pallet in at a time it dosent foam. as long as it dosent boil over your fine.

spencer

mike z
02-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Just add a little defoamer, and knock it down. A drop or two should do the job.

PerryW
02-29-2012, 07:57 AM
foaming boil is good. The faster the better. Makes better grade as each sugar molecule spend less time under the heat. Most evaporators would boil over without periodic drops defoamer. I have to add defoamer every 10-20 minutes when everything is running good

here's my back pan (short video):

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/perryW/?action=view&current=MapleSapBoil.mp4

syrup pan boiling:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/perryW/?action=view&current=SyrupBoilSMall.mp4

eustis22
02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
well all righty, then..I will keep the fire hot, then..and throw a drop or two of heavy cream in when it gets too poofy

Jec
02-29-2012, 07:05 PM
You would be better off with a few drops of canola oil.

Russell Lampron
02-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Yup foaming boil = happy boil. You can use canola oil as a defoamer and if the syrup is for your own use you can also use a little butter. Back in the day may grandfather tied a piece of salt pork on a string and hung it over the flue pan. The foam would hit the salt pork and die right down. the only one that i actually recommend is the canola oil.

eustis22
02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
youse guys....

canola oil next

hey..*I* have an MS180......ever swap out the fuel filter?