PDA

View Full Version : Must Read!! Native American sugar bush history

warners point
02-28-2012, 11:14 PM
I came across this book on the web. Its the biography of Paul Buffalo, a Native American from Northern MN. The whole thing is a great read, but I've posted the link to the chapter about heading to the sugar bush. Check out the next chapter for more about making sugar.

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/troufs/Buffalo/PB06.html#title

gbwez
02-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Fascinating, thanks for sharing I really enjoyed reading those chapters

lastwoodsman
02-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the post I enjoy this stuff.
Woodsman

RileySugarbush
02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Bill, Did I show you that birch bark sap container when you were visiting here? It looks just like that. I actually have a photo of where they were found back in the 70's near Virginia MN. A fallen down shack that looks a lot like that shelter in the book!

PapaSmiff
02-29-2012, 10:11 AM
The timing of this post is great. At the Eastern States Exposition grounds, in West Springfield, MA, they are having an event called "Maple Harvest Day". They will be discussing sugar camps, although I think it's probably from the perspective of early European settlers. I'm planning on taking my grandchildren. this posting will be good preparation for them.
Thanks.

http://thebige.ntelligentsystems.com/ns/calendar/ViewEvent.asp?EventId=285

RileySugarbush
02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Here are some scans of the color slides taken when this abandoned sugar camp was discovered . I believe it was found during a survey before a mining or logging operation. I was given one of the birch bark baskets and a carved flat spile, I believe it is basswood, by the son of the discoverer. It is now on display in our sugarhouse. I'll try and add photos of them to this gallery soon.

http://gallery.me.com/jabushey#100354&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Double-D Farm
02-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed reading it and couldn't help but be impressed on how the native americans went to that much trouble and work for mainly sugar and also syrup. Truly amazing!

warners point
02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Bill, Did I show you that birch bark sap container when you were visiting here? It looks just like that. I actually have a photo of where they were found back in the 70's near Virginia MN. A fallen down shack that looks a lot like that shelter in the book!

John, yes I saw it last year. Really like seeing the pictures of where it came from. I have about 1100 sumac taps that are from my great great uncles sugar camp. When I talked to my mom last week she mentioned that they started hearing the crows. Its weird that you never hear crows up there until spring. The sap will be running soon!!

happy thoughts
02-29-2012, 07:06 PM
That was an interesting read. I liked the part about the search for used pork barrels. Sounds a lot like some of us looking for used 55 gal storage containers. Some things never change :lol:

maplematt
03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Makes me appreciate my plastic buckets and my Jeep!!