PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Fluidics Liquid ring pump tap capacity

doocat
02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Does anyone have one of these? If you do what is the tap count you have on the pump? Oh yeah it is a 3 hp..

Thanks

DrTimPerkins
02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have one of these? If you do what is the tap count you have on the pump? Oh yeah it is a 3 hp..

Rule of thumb is 100 taps per CFM the pump moves at the desired vacuum level. So look at the performance curve for your particular pump, at the vacuum level you expect (hope) to pull. That'll give you the CFM you can move. Multiply that by 100 to get the approximate number of taps.

www.wagnerhydraulics.com/atlantic_fluidics.pdf

batsofbedlam
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=doocat;181215]Does anyone have one of these? If you do what is the tap count you have on the pump? Oh yeah it is a 3 hp..

I have the 2 hp version. I had it set up last year in a 1000 tap sugarbush with a 100' 1 1/2" dry line. It rarely pulled 10" of vacuum and we spend days walking the bush looking for leaks and never found any.
This year, I moved the pump to a 400 tap sugarbush. It is consistently pulling 26" of vacuum every day and I know immediately if I have a squirrel bite of a broken line.
I really think liquid ring pumps are over rated tap wise.

lew
02-28-2012, 09:52 PM
WE have the A20 3 hp Atlantic fluidics liquid ring pump. It's curve shows 30 cfm at 26 inches. We currently have 3050 taps on it pulling 23 -24 inches at the releaser and 22 inches at the farthest point in the woods, approximately 2,600 feet away.

PATheron
02-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Doocat- What that pump will do for you is totally dependent on two things. How tight your lines are and how cool the pump head is. You have to cool ring pumps to get the full cfms from them. If theres steam coming off the coolant water its half the pump. Find a source of cool water to run in and out of the coolant tank or a way to circulate some of the water in a line through cool water. Lew is doing everything right to get those results from that pump. Hes at the one cfm per hundred. So if your lines are real tight and the pump is cool itll do 3000 taps. It should do a thousand taps real comfortably, 3 cfms per hundred and if you get some leaks youll still have some fairly good vacuum. Theron

Brian Ryther
02-29-2012, 06:13 AM
I run two of them. One is on a 1000 tap bush and the other does 2100 with three seperate releasers. I am able to keep the releasers @ 25". This does take a lot of work and constant attention. One 5/16 leak will drop the vac levels to below 20". When I feed the pumps cold spring water I am able to raise the vac level by 1". I can not prove it but I also feel that it also increases the cfm performance.

oneoldsap
02-29-2012, 06:56 AM
[QUOTE=doocat;181215]Does anyone have one of these? If you do what is the tap count you have on the pump? Oh yeah it is a 3 hp..

I have the 2 hp version. I had it set up last year in a 1000 tap sugarbush with a 100' 1 1/2" dry line. It rarely pulled 10" of vacuum and we spend days walking the bush looking for leaks and never found any.
This year, I moved the pump to a 400 tap sugarbush. It is consistently pulling 26" of vacuum every day and I know immediately if I have a squirrel bite of a broken line.
I really think liquid ring pumps are over rated tap wise.
I think that you had a problem with your 1000 tap bush if a 2 HP pump would only pull 10" of Vac !

Amber Gold
02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
I agree w/ oneoldsap, either there's something wrong w/ the woods, or I'd be there's something wrong w/ the pump head and it's not pulling the cfm's it should be. I run the A10 which has a 1.5hp on 600+ taps and have no issues pulling high vac...actually could if it wasn't for them d*mn squirrels. Been a struggle this year maintaining 25"

doocat
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the input. Just for clarification we run the pump on 1700 taps and it is running 24-25 inches. We were trying to keep it over 25 and was wondering if anyone was having any issues getting there or if I am just missing a leak or two.

Thanks, Craig

Amber Gold
02-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Isolate just the pump if you can w/ a vac. gauge. When the pump's isolated you can find out what it's capable of....mine's 27-27.5". Or isolate the pump and releaser and take a reading on the releaser.

The higher the vac., the more leaks appear, so it's harder and harder to get there. Last year w/ a brand new woods, I was able to maintain 26" w/out too much work. This year, much more work to maintain 24-25".

batsofbedlam
02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=batsofbedlam;181226]
I think that you had a problem with your 1000 tap bush if a 2 HP pump would only pull 10" of Vac !
Numerous people have stated that I must have leaks in the woods if the pump only pulls 10". I had 4 people spend days checking every tap, every connection and every line and could not find any leaks. When I dead headed the pump it pulls 27 inches and in the smaller woods I moved it to this year, it is pulling 26 inches. I still question the pumps capacity.
I replaced the oil ring pump in the 1000 tap bush with a Busch claw pump, this year. The Busch pump has been running for 5 weeks at 34 hz., pulling 26 inches, and have almost doubled my sap production over last year. This bush was brand new last year, BTW.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
We have 4 sugarbushes. We run vane pumps on 3 of them and a tuthill liquid ring pump on the other. That being said, vane pumps are alot more forgiving with leaks than a ring pump of comparable size. Our ring pump is a 30 cfm. that runs 2400 taps. We maintain 25 3/4 inches on this pump but if we have a stubby pop off or a squirrel chew, the vac. will drop around 3 inches, especially if the leak is close to the mainline. We have a 3hp. vane pump that is comparable in size to our ring pump. This runs 1900 taps. It takes between 10 and 12 stubbys off or leaks to drop this vac. 3 inches. We maintain 25 inches on this system. Your pump definitely was big enough to run 1000 taps. It should run 2000 taps efficiciently with tight lines, but overall in my experience ring pumps are definitely not as forgiving or have as quick a recovery rate as some of the other pumps out there.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
03-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Walling's,

What type of vane pump are you running?

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Walling's,

What type of vane pump are you running?Buffalo Creek, The pump is a 30 cfm Airablo pump with a 3 hp. marathon electric motor. We purchased from D&G. Originally it had a 1.5 hp. electric motor. On this, we could only pull 22" max. After talking to Brad at Leader we found we could go to a 3 hp. motor with a bigger pulley and two belts(helpful for start-up) and gain more vac because of more than twice the rpm's. We are currently pulling 25" and are in the process of adding an oil cooler to it and changing lines from reclaimer to pump from 1/4" to 1/2". They claim this could gain us another 2" and possibly run at 27". We are trying this because next year we are setting up another 3500 tap woods and are leaning towards another vane pump like this versus a ring pump. They are much more forgiving on leaks. I feel that the vane pump is a very underestimated and overlooked pump in the maple industry. When people think vane pumps, they think dairy pumps, but there is some very good vane pumps on the market today. Good Luck on the rest of your sugar season, Neil.