PDA

View Full Version : Things are going great

DENNO54
02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
First year, having a great time! Boiled twice, made a bit over a gallon, tastes soooo good. Hope it runs this week, have lots of company Friday and Sat to help. We have 75 taps, most on lines. Still can't decide if we should vent the lines.
DJ

SPILEDRIVER
02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
do yourself a huge favor and DONT!!! vent your lines.

adk1
02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
I have been thinking the same thing, but, have held out from venting he mainline...

Chainsaw Baby
02-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Venting mainlines will help when they are long (I assume you are gravity fed). I even vent the longer tubing lines. You need a decent slope (descent slope - get it?) or venting might cause issues. Spiledriver: What is wrong with venting? Note: I am assuming that by "venting", you mean having the high end of a mainline open. You need to have the high, open end at least 6 feet above the highest mainline level. Keep your lines above snow, or they could freeze under the snow and the back pressure will eject sap out the high end. It makes a lovely waterfall, but gives your stomach a bad feeling.

PerryW
02-28-2012, 09:57 PM
venting laterals means you are allowing more air to travel through the the pipe. This leaves less room for sap, reducing the carrying capacity of the line..

It also eliminated any natural vacuum and allows the introduction of bacteria into a formerly closed system.

Vermont Creation Hardwood
02-29-2012, 03:54 AM
The elimination of natural vacuum seems the largest problem of venting to me. Also the introduction of bacteria. Yet some claim there are enough leaks in most pipelines that venting changes nothing and bacteria are introduced anyway. I think my gravity lines are pretty tight, but after our recent 22" snowstorm, I'm going to check everything out again.

DENNO54
02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
well, looks like the non-ventors are in the majority so we will leave the lines as is. thanks for all the responses

denno