PDA

View Full Version : Stingy ropey Syrup

SugarMama
02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Well we just finished out second 5 Gallon Batch. After canning this batch in mason jars when you tip them in the light the syrup seems to be thickening or stringy. Whats going on? It tested to 60 Brix. and the sap was only 2 days new with ice in the tank.This batch was a pain to filter, kept clogging. Do I need to reboil it/Refilter? It tastes great, but seems to be thickening or something.

happy thoughts
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
60 Brix?? I'm still not past the thermometer/best judgement stage but isn't syrup supposed to be between 66-67 brix?

That said, I don't think it's spoiled. If your syrup is really just 60 brix you may need to cook it down further. If it's at the right density then it sounds like you just have some weird precipitate. I had that happen once with sap that I was given and knew was well handled and fresh.The syrup had a blob of white stuff that settled and looked almost like what they put in lava lamps lol.

If it were me, I'd pour off the clear stuff. If it's the right density, reHEAT (not reboil) to no higher than 200F or more sand will come out. Then rebottle into new clean jars.

Russell Lampron
02-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Well we just finished out second 5 Gallon Batch. After canning this batch in mason jars when you tip them in the light the syrup seems to be thickening or stringy. Whats going on? It tested to 60 Brix. and the sap was only 2 days new with ice in the tank.This batch was a pain to filter, kept clogging. Do I need to reboil it/Refilter? It tastes great, but seems to be thickening or something.

It sounds like you have made some ropey syrup. It normally happens late in the season but I have heard of it happening at the beginning of the season too. There is nothing that will fix it. If it is indeed ropey drain your evaporator and start over with fresh sap.

60 Brix?? I'm still not past the thermometer/best judgement stage but isn't syrup supposed to be between 66-67 brix?

That said, I don't think it's spoiled. If your syrup is really just 60 brix you may need to cook it down further. If it's at the right density then it sounds like you just have some weird precipitate. I had that happen once with sap that I was given and knew was well handled and fresh.The syrup had a blob of white stuff that settled and looked almost like what they put in lava lamps lol.

If it were me, I'd pour off the clear stuff. If it's the right density, reHEAT (not reboil) to no higher than 200F or more sand will come out. Then rebottle into new clean jars.

60 degrees brix is the correct reading for a hot test, 211*, for syrup. the 66-67 you are thinking of is the percentage of sugar of syrup at density.