PDA

View Full Version : Sugar content seem higher than usual?

Tomten
03-22-2006, 12:47 PM
I just finished my first batch and appear to be running 32:1. Is anybody else seeing hihger than normal sugar?

TR Hardwoods
03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Tomten, Same story here, first batch went thru at 27.5:1; by far the best sugar I've ever had. A co-worker who also does syrup said he has been experiencing the same thing. I wonder if this is only in WI or is everyone seeing the same? Along with the high sugar my first batch was extremely light in color, in fact it is the lightest syrup I've ever made!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-22-2006, 08:14 PM
around 53 to 1 here, worst I have ever seen. 8O

sweetwoodmaple
03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm at 60+ Brandon, so don't feel so bad.

jtcinv
03-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I haven't made any for 2 weeks, but when I did it was very close to 40:1. Had to do taxes last weekend, heading up to collect and boil this weekend and will post data. Thanks for everyone posting what they're getting!!!! It helps us all learn.

Jeff

Tomten
03-27-2006, 12:38 PM
One long weekend ! Spent so many hours cooking a few of us started talking to the wood and sap ...ok I guess as in a way their family. The sound of drops in tin buckets rivialed the sounds of robins and blackbirds yesterday not to mention the smell of springs first and sweetest flower, new syrup! When the kids would try the condensed sap their faces lit up in the same kind of smile you see on Christmas morning or a bithday then they'd tear off to burn up springs first new sugar.

Finished 10 gallons this weekend, the best year in the 7 or so years our camp has tapped. First 5 gallons were the darker variety due to some wet wood by the last 5 were the grade lite fancy stuff thanks to dry wood. I can believe the 27.5-1 ration TR....WOW! Is that a hydrometer test? I've always calculated based on gallons input VS gallons output...Needless to say the four of us who make up the Tomtens Grove Sugar Camp have been busy. Hope to get the pan off tonite after some 88 hours of cooking. Quite tierd glad I'm at work. Looks like the seasons coming to a screeching halt with temps not predicted to go below freezing for the next week...I'm sorry to hear about the season out east but I' guessing next year will be better.

So for the long post apparently not to trant a bit. Good luck all.

jenigl12
01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
i'll agree on the higher sugar content this year, i was averaging 4% most of the time, here in egg harbor,wi coming from 220 trees, which also came out to being a real nice golden amber colored syrup, with a good flavor, wish all good weather for next season.