PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tree is this sap from

sapsuckers
02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I have one tree that i"m doing separately from the rest and the syrup is different. It's very very sweet and light in color kind of like apple juice but lighter also there isn't much flavor at all just a big sugar fix where the rest of the trees give a syrup that tastes more like caramel rather than maple.
So I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of a maple tree this is and what kind the others might be that give the caramel flavor and what kind of tree you get the maple flavored stuff from
Thanks for any input

SSFLLC
02-28-2012, 05:44 AM
With out pic's and a better discription your going to get no answers to this question.

happy thoughts
02-28-2012, 07:01 AM
ditto what ssfllc said. But that said, light syrup generally does not have a strong maple taste. That's why many people prefer darker syrup. The color of the syrup is also less a product of the type of tree than what a particular tree wants to produce at any given time. I've heard early sap tends to produce lighter syrup. Your next batch may come up darker, or not. it's still going to taste great on pancakes whatever color you end up with.

jmp
02-28-2012, 07:22 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words :)