PDA

View Full Version : leader 2x4 stack height

rossibuilders@gmail.com
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I just recently bought a new leader 2x4 wse evaporator and built a shack. The problem is the walls are ten feet tall and the trusses on top make it 11-12' on the low end. They come with two 3' sections of 10" pipe, the funnel out of the arch (also 3') . This added to the arch itself equals 11'. So the question is, if i add another section will this have a negative effect on the performance of the little rig? Any ideas or thoughts on this matter would greatly help me out.

Thanks,

Big barn, small pan :)

slammer3364
02-28-2012, 12:05 AM
am under the opinon that the higher the stack the better the draw. If you look at pics of some sugarhouses the stacks are well above the roof

maple marc
02-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Big Barn,

I ran my Leader WSE 2x4 for 5 years before stretching it to 2x6 this year. I had same situation as you--had a 10" pipe about 15' high. Problem was too much draft for that little rig. I didn't know a thing about it when I started. They told me to run with the draft door wide open. When the stack got red hot and sap started spitting all over the place I thought something might be wrong. Finally got a stack thermometer and discovered I was running at 1600 degrees! Luckily, I didn't melt the thing! I learned to run with draft door completely shut. Maybe you will too, depending on your wood.

Get a stack thermometer--the one with the probe, not a stick on, and you will be fine. Place it at about head height. Let us know how it goes.

Marc