PDA

View Full Version : Should I put more taps in?

Starting Small
02-27-2012, 07:55 PM
So today was a decent run for me and I also received my order for 25 more taps and tees. I was gonna use these for next year but am wondering if maybe I should tap a few more trees with this order to make up for the lack of sap. I am concerned though that I will tap and then need to throw out the taps in a few weeks if the season stops. If I am only gonna get another 2 weeks I may just save them till next year. Of course at .40 each I guess I should be able to swing the $8 bucks.

PerryW
02-27-2012, 09:03 PM
tap em. Even one gallon of sap will pay for the tap. Of course, most of my taps are 20-25 years old, so the thought of throwing them away never crosses my mind.

Starting Small
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Interesting...so many people talk about the bacteria building up i thought that using the same taps mode than one year was a bad thing. I will probably tap then. Hopefully we can get Nother month oht of this season.

PerryW
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
the way I understand it... Is using new plastic is supposed to make the taps last 7-8 weeks instead of 6 weeks. This is the reason why us old-school guys try not to tap too early.

You could at least save the used taps in case you want to tap extra trees during the season.