PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning & Storing drop lines

ibby458
03-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Sap hasn't even started to flow here yet, but I'm thinking of what to do once the season's over. (I'm bored out of my skull waiting for it to warm up!)

My drops are between 3 and 8' long, going into plastic pails and barrels. (my first year with this set up) After I pull the taps, I was thinking that I would flush good with hot water with peroxide in it, and hang up in the sun to dry.

If I just hung them in my sugarhouse (Actually, an open tractor shed), I'm afraid the mud dauper wasps will plug the ends with their nests. (THey do every other ssmall opening they can find)

I've thought of plugging the tube end onto the spout, or coiling them in a barrel, but I'd rather not reinforce the curl on the tubing. It's hard enough to work with as it is.

I'm using LaPierre rigid tubing. Any suggestions?

royalmaple
03-22-2006, 07:36 AM
How about if you washed them and then put them in a grain bag like the old blue seal bags that are woven plastic, should still let air get to them but not the critters. You could then hang the bags on a nail or rafter.

Maybe someone has more experience with this, I have not tried it, but could work for you.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Just wash them and hang them in the sugarhouse for a day or two to dry and then roll them up and storage them in something they can't get to them to plug them. If they are hanging, they will get plugged. :)

mountainvan
03-22-2006, 07:58 AM
If you plug the spile with a maple "t" or a nail the wasps can't get in. careful of the open tubing end, those little sob's will plug that up too.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-22-2006, 02:40 PM
The little 5 cent red plugs you get from bascoms will plug up the end of the tubing.

sweetwoodmaple
03-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I just leave mine without plugs. Those wasps help to swab out the tubing when you get that first good run of sap!

Sort of the poor man's way around those mainline styrofoam/brush combinations that you blow through the lines. Especially since they don't make them for 5/16 lines anyway.

Anyone want to buy some of my "tequila" syrup! 8O :lol: :lol:

Ed K
03-22-2006, 06:33 PM
I wash mine with spring water pumped thru, let them dry for a day on roofing tins spread out on a hill side to drain them. store them in 55 gal barrels with screen over the top and tied down.

ibby458
03-23-2006, 06:10 AM
I got some of those grain bags, and I think they would be perfect for the shorter drops. I'll bet I could get my wife to sew up some longer ones out of plastic fly screen for the longer drops.

Thanks for all the advice! It lead me in the right direction.

maple flats
04-01-2006, 08:42 AM
There is a plug available but I think the other methods mentioned would be good and much cheaper. Besides, if there was a little humidity in them at all it would mildew and then the drop would need re cleaning. My tubing stays up all year, I plug the spout into the tee and on the tank end I wrap a piece of screening with a twist wire holding it., works for me.