PDA

View Full Version : Leader end rings

PerryW
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Never understood why people like these??

They seem to almost always create a sag in the tubing where it wraps around the end tree. Plus, for a large diameter tree, they waste many feet of tubing.

I just use a straight connecter, loop a piece of wire through the hole and wrap it around the tree (with a scrap of tubing to protect the tree). Just attach your dropline to the straight connecter. Now the sap doesn't have to run around the tree before entering the lateral.

02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
I like them easy to adjust tension then just use deaden tee to keep the sap flow in the right direction.

MapleME
02-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Now the sap doesn't have to run around the tree before entering the lateral.

Actually, the correct way to do this it to use a blocked "T" at the end of the line. So in fact your sap doesn't go around the tree, it is blocked by the closed "T" and goes in to your collection container. You do indeed waste some tubing, but for 50 bucks for 500 feet, its just so easy to do and is a slick set up. I will gladly waste 3 feet of tubing just for the ease of it.

PerryW
02-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Oh so that's the trick. Never heard of a blocked TEE.

West Mountain Maple
02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah, too bad Leader does not even make the blocked tee that I know of, I just removed all my end rings because yukky sap was sitting there. Just used a tee to make the loop around the tree, at least it can fully drain both directions if you put a drop on the back side of the end tree.

Cardigan99
02-28-2012, 05:50 AM
I swapped out my end rings with end forks. They cost a little more but it's worth it just to not see skanky lines.

northwoods_forestry
02-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Actually, the correct way to do this it to use a blocked "T" at the end of the line. So in fact your sap doesn't go around the tree, it is blocked by the closed "T" and goes in to your collection container.

Doesn't the Leader end ring have a drop line to it? Not sure how you use a blocked "T" with that. You can use a blocked "T" with the IPL end line hooks. That seems to work pretty slick, though I have yet to try it on my lines.

maple maniac65
02-28-2012, 06:09 AM
the blocked tee is a Lapierre product is available at Goodrich's in VT. it comes with a cup or a stem to put your spout on in the off season. they have been around for about 5 years now. The blocked sub comes in right and lefts.