PDA

View Full Version : Half Pint clearance for pan

Forrest hunters
02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
I have heard of people building up area over the recommended false wall height in the back to get more heat in the fire box and at the back of the pan. I just bought a used unit and see there is about 3 inches or so below the pan where the wall stops. If I figure the area of the 6" stack it is 28.26". If I figure right I would need about 1.25 inches clearance over the wall for pan clearance if I want to build that up. Am I correct? If so I may stack a brick higher in the center and open it up on the sides more to force the air out to the sides? Has anyone done that or am I thinking wrong? I would be able to force the heat to the outsides as the stack is dropped down a few inches from the top of that wall.

sapbrush
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey thats exactly what i have done on my half pint put some bricks up high in the center so you force the flame down the sides in the back and then out the pipe keeps the pan nice and hot that way and boil with the door closed on that unit i also put a small fan in front of the draft door that blows under the grates i can get it realy boiling jim

Forrest hunters
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
So I have not cemented the top 2.5 layers in but I put the top layer on with the center going front to back and touching the wall with one brick above it. I have openings approximately 6.5 x 1.75 on each side and 1/2 over the center block. That gives me 27.25" and the 6" stack is approximately 28.25". I also figure the 27.25" could be more with the loose fitting of some objects in back. I also have 8' of stack going up but may put a 2' horizontal piece out the back and put some hotel pans on it to preheat sap for the pre heater. Also just laid a brick in front of the door as I do not like the gap there as I feel too much air is going over the fire instead of through the grated. May seal that all the way off. 5512551355145515

Forrest hunters
02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Anyone have any thoughts or comments on my ideas? Will they work or hinder my progress? I think I may put some more up front to close that area off and it i am choking it too much I can always pull some out during burn. The back is what I am moset concerned with.

68bird
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Good thread. You guys got me thinking. I go out 2 feet, and then up 2 feet with 6" and expand to 8" for another 8'. I need to block in front of door too. First thing I need to do though is put gasket B/T arch and pan, as I am loosing a lot of draw there.