PDA

View Full Version : So you want to make your own maple syrup?

DonMcJr
02-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Tapping trees and collecting the sap is the easy part!

Here's my video of my first time making Maple Syrup from my own sap...

http://youtu.be/g51AqbL0br8

Dfrenzy
02-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Good video it reminds me of my first boil in my back yard on cinder blocks just last year. I sure hope you licked that pan clean after all that work.

DonMcJr
02-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks! Yeah I licked everything I could twice after I bottled..:lol:

TerryEspo
02-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Hey Don:

Great long video. Had me wishing I had some sap to do the same, just not that long to boil,,lol,,, that was me last year. This year I have the parts with a very old wood unit and hope she works to boil a lot faster, if not, back to the turkey frier for me. If I get my old tymer wood burning unit working and boiling, I will post some pics here at this site. I am sure it get some laughs.

Glad your enjoying the habit, oops, I mean hobby !!

Terry

DonMcJr
02-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Oh yeah I'm lovin it! Got 8.5 gallons Sunday and Monday! Another boil this weekend! This one will be shorter though!

Made blueberry pancakes at work tonight. Boss didn't want pancakes but tried a spoonful of my syrup...he said his wife has gotten it from an outfit down the road for years and mine was better!

I only brought 12 oz of my syrup and a 12 oz bottle of fake syrup (lol).
Well I have none left in my bottle and only a few of the guys tried both and then came back for all of mine!

At least I know I have quite a few buyers now when I get enough in the freezer for my family!

TerryEspo
02-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Thats great Don.

Anybody that tries yours and a fake sample will never go back. It is still very much winter here so no boiling for me yet, darn it !!

Weatherman says maybe next week when I go to Florida, go figure. I am planning on calling a couple buddies to emty my pails and containers to save it till I get home.

Hope to see a video of your next boil.

Take care.

Terry