PDA

View Full Version : Has it really started running yet?

MJFlores
02-26-2012, 09:51 PM
First off, I'm new at this....just boiled for the first time yesterday and got some nice, dark syrup...lots of fun. Since Friday I haven't been getting anything in my buckets. Today I thought for sure the trees would run, but of my 11 taps only one had a few ounces of sap in it...the others were bone dry. Was anyone else surprised today with lack of flow? How much longer would you say we have? I'm in Deerfield NH. Some trees are getting buds already...but it seems the ground hasn't really thawed deeply yet. I was convinced that my lack of sap was due to still frozen roots but now I'm starting to wonder.

Dill
02-27-2012, 07:52 AM
The sap has ran but not consistently by any means. I've only collected my gravity taps twice in 2 weeks in Northwood. I did notice the red maple buds have swelled but don't worry that doesn't mean anything.

Ridgeland Farm
02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Im not suprised at all that you didnt get much yesterday. It really didnt warm up that much and it froze very hard the night before so it took a long time to thaw. it was also still windy which doesnt help things either. The ground atleast in my area is still froze pretty good. No one can predict what will happen but I think we are just getting started. JMO.

MJFlores
03-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Well I'm a total newbie to this syrup game but if it's not running good today I dont think the trees will ever run. It's nice and warm out...and all my taps are wet. Here's hoping!

sjdoyon
03-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I've had two runs so far this year. Normally don't start to really run until mid-March. This week looks promising so give it a chance.

red maples
03-04-2012, 12:40 PM
There have been a few little runs nothing great by any means!!!! The ground is still frozen and there are have been really no REAL warm days with sun in some time. I have 1 or 2 reds that the buds have swelled just a bit but they always do. nothing to worry about yet. just watch the forecast although that has been changing by the hour!!! there is some good sap weather coming after tuesday for a least a few days anyway!!! Even if I am making Grade B I am happy. most people including myself Like that better anyway!!!