PDA

View Full Version : Can you PROVE syrup is fake ??

TerryEspo
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I ask this question becuase without saying names or companies, they say their syrup is 100% Maple Syrup.

I would bet it is not.

It is way closer to Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin. Corn syrup or something.

This is not a large name, nobody would know them, close to my home, small set-up type people. Kinda like they give this "syrup" at a charity auction or like that, maybe it is not what they sell all the time.

Others I know who tap, say it must be cut or something.

How can we prove it is not 100% if that is even possible??

Thanks.

Terry

DrTimPerkins
02-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Absolutely. Analytical methods exist to check for various adulterants and contaminants. A screening program is done periodically by the International Maple Syrup Institute (IMSI). They collect suspect syrups, or just random syrup from shelves, and send it to UVM PMRC. We send it off to a commercial lab for analysis. We've worked with several different state agriculture departments when they've had questionable maple products. Within the past 15 yrs, we've develop several different screening methods for a variety of things. Often we hand these out to maple syrup bulk buyers to use when they're testing drums -- gets the attention of the maple producers pretty quick -- and word gets around very fast. There is ongoing research at Centre Acer to develop additional tests. Contact Dave Chapeskie, Executive Director of the . agrofor@ripnet.com

Starting Small
02-26-2012, 09:01 PM
How often are fake samples found?

wnybassman
02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Float a hydrometer in it at 60º

Clan Delaney
02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Yes you can. Ask this guy: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/fake-maple-syrup_n_1300241.html

hitnspit
02-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Sure can!!!!!! just read in the local paper yesterday that a guy was makeing sugarwater with sugar cane and selling it as Vermont pure. He is now looking at 3 years in jail for doing so. A couple bought $200 worth and had it tested. Kinda like dealing drugs for some people. Make a killing untill you get caught. Always some bad apples in a bunch.....

DrTimPerkins
02-27-2012, 07:57 AM
Sure can!!!!!! just read in the local paper yesterday that a guy was makeing sugarwater with sugar cane and selling it as Vermont pure. He is now looking at 3 years in jail for doing so. A couple bought $200 worth and had it tested. Kinda like dealing drugs for some people. Make a killing untill you get caught. Always some bad apples in a bunch.....

To clarify a little, some folks bought syrup, and thought it was suspect. They sent it to the VT Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets. We consulted with them about it. The syrup was tested and found to be adulterated. The State of Vermont Attorney Generals Office pressed charges. The person in question plead guilty. Sentencing is pending.

LESSON -- DON'T MESS WITH MAPLE SYRUP IN VERMONT.

There are several different tests depending upon what you're looking for. The first is cheap, only about $25 per sample. The more definitive test is more costly, about $500+, but is very sensitive and can detect many types of adulterants.

To answer the question about how prevalent the problem is.....after doing a LOT of testing, it doesn't seem to be terribly widespread.

PerryW
02-27-2012, 08:29 AM
I was surprised the the tests can now detect adulteration with cane sugar & beet sugar even though they are chemically identical to the sugar in maple. (sucrose?)

happy thoughts
02-27-2012, 08:56 AM
I was surprised the the tests can now detect adulteration with cane sugar & beet sugar even though they are chemically identical to the sugar in maple. (sucrose?)

Maybe it's the artificial flavor compounds they're testing for?????

PerryW
02-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Maybe it's the artificial flavor compounds they're testing for?????

Don't think so. As I remember it, this test would detect any added non-maple sugar. Like if someone took a batch of Grade B and dumped a bunch of cane sugar (& water) in it, supposedly, this test would detect the added sugar.

happy thoughts
02-27-2012, 09:32 AM
You're right Perry. It seems they test for carbon isotope ratios. Adulterated syrup has a different profile than pure maple syrup. It looks like faking honey is also a problem. They test for adulteration the same way.

Here's a little bit more about it.

http://www.csl-sira.com/maple_app1.htm
http://www.csl-sira.com/honeyapp1.htm

TerryEspo
02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
If I get some of this "suspicious" syrup, what do I do with it? Have the test thingy here with me or mail out the syrup sample ??

Thanks.

Terry

happy thoughts
02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Your first step is going to be contacting the federal or provincial authority that handles syrup regulations. Who's responsible for syrup standards in your province? And how aggressively do you want to go after the producer? Do you want to see him prosecuted or just embarrass him enough to make him think twice and stop the nonsense?

If the latter and you just want quick results, then contact a testing company like the one I linked above. I saw a contact page with email/ phone info where they will advise you how to handle a sample. You may not necessarily have to use the services of that particular lab, but they'll likely be able to give you all the particulars, including what the test costs.

http://www.csl-sira.com/sub10.htm

TerryEspo
02-27-2012, 11:36 AM
If,,,,IF, this syrup in not 100%.

I would NOT want to take legal action. More happy with just knowing and would like to let "THEM" know that they are nasty for doing that. In a small town word would get around and that would be enough in my opinion. I am not the Maple Syrup Police. I just feel if people are paying $$$ for real syrup they should not be lied too.

To support "The Cause" last year, we bought some. Took it home, looked at it and, tasted it and ,,,threw it out. It could even be what Grade B is,,,not sure.

I guess I am just more curiuos than anything and glad to know it could be tested.

Hope I am even wrong.

Thanks

Terry

Chainsaw Baby
02-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Showed a couple from the Baltic how to make maple syrup. After they watched the evaporator run for about 2 hours, they asked me when I added the sugar... Quite humorous if you are from Vermont or Ontario... They thought the sap provided the flavour, but it was sweetened artificially.

DrTimPerkins
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
If the latter and you just want quick results, then contact a testing company like the one I linked above. I saw a contact page with email/ phone info where they will advise you how to handle a sample. You may not necessarily have to use the services of that particular lab, but they'll likely be able to give you all the particulars, including what the test costs.

http://www.csl-sira.com/sub10.htm

That company just shut down a few months ago (pity...they did very good work). Try http://www.siratech.us.com/index.html instead.

DrTimPerkins
02-27-2012, 02:00 PM

The Carbon-SIRA test will detect corn and cane syrup adulteration (C4 plants....grasses essentially) and has been around for several decades. The SNIF-NMR test will also detect beet (a C3 plant, like maple) sugar adulteration (the development of this test was partially funded by IMSI), and has only been around for about 12 years....and costs more. Other tests will detect different contaminants used to adulterate maple syrup. We try not to talk about the specifics much if you get my drift. ;)