PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning SS pans

Tom59
02-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi all, looking for info on how to clean sugarline off of ss pans. Our local TSC doesnt carry milkstone cleaner. Have been scrubbing with hot water & scotch brite pad. So so results. Any other product out there to help remove this? Is CLR safe to use? On their website it states you can use it in coffemakers, pet bowls etc. Thanks for any info Tom. PS. Does this sugarline darken up the syrup as you boil?

Cake O' Maple
02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
I've never used scotch brite pads, so I can't speak to that. I have used SOS pads, w/ a ton of elbow grease, and gotten most of it, then later got one of those stainless steel pads, and again got most of it with a lot less elbow grease. Was too pooped and out of SOS pads, but I think a followup w/ SOS would have gotten rid of it.

Not experience speaking here, but I've heard that line of sugar darkens the syrup. Would love for someone else to chime in w/ experience.

sapchap
02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
we use white vinegar put 3 inches of water in the pans pour in vinegar let set over night every thing comes clean with very light scrub rinses out nice we have done this for years maple wood farms in ohio Home of the Happy Sapers.

Flat47
02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
we use white vinegar put 3 inches of water in the pans pour in vinegar let set over night every thing comes clean with very light scrub rinses out nice

We do the same except I flood the pans with more like 6 inches and bring it up to a simmer, then let soak. My Grimm syrup pan has a ton of niter build up on the walls, probably from lack of thourough cleaning years ago. I'm still trying to scrub that stuff off. But, the vinegar soak works really well - do it often and your pans will look like new for a long time.

tbear
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
On the inside of the pan I use 3 gal warm water with 1 gal vinegar and let'er sit for awhile then take a green scratchy pad to it. Dump the water and vinegar and add 3 gals warm water with baking soda (I use almost a small box) scrub it around a while (the baking soda neutralizes the acid in the vinegar) empty that out and rinse well. It shines like new! On the outside of the pan I use EASY-OFF barbeque grill cleaner. Just follow the directions on the can. That stuff is amazing! About the burntline making the syrup darker I never really had anything to compare so I can't say for sure. My concern was that it might give the next batch a scortched taste. Good Luck and have fun!

sugarwoodacres
02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for new info to !st time evaporator user . :) this site is awesome!

Tom59
03-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the info. Will try this before this weekends boil. Guess CLR is out?