PDA

View Full Version : Maple cream with a Mixer

farmermike
03-21-2006, 07:33 PM
My husband bought me a 575 watt Kitchenaid mixer to make cream with. I used it tonight and it took 2 hrs. on speed #1&2, to thicken and lighten up. The cream I made tonight from last years dark amber, is light in color but look like thick soup. Any suggestions? Is this normal? Also, I have three maple cookbooks, they all have different cooling temps, from 70-85. What should it be?
Bet it will be good on ice cream, even if it doesn't thicken. :D

Sugarmaker
03-21-2006, 08:53 PM
FM,
I am in no way a cream expert but I have heard that darker syrup is sometimes difficult to get to crystallized properly. (invert sugar) Most folks recommend the lightest and the freshest syrup to be used.
I wanted to make some "cream candy" tonight so I had a quart of this years Albion Ultra Light, boiled it to 232. set the pan in cold water, until the temp dropped to 125. dumped the syrup into a 1 quart Pyrex measuring cup. and beat with the electric hand mixer for about 2 minutes until it was a nice thick cream color. poured into the molds, as it hardened in the measuring cup I scraped the sides and microwaved it for 30 seconds on high then poured some more then heated again 30 seconds to be able to pour the rest. It is light in color, very creamy like fudge and just melts in your mouth. Now that's maple candy!
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Problem was likely the syrup was a year old and the invert sugar was way off. With that mixer, you ought to be able to make cream in no time flat. Try some with some of this year's syrup. I haven't made any in several years. :?

brookledge
03-21-2006, 09:27 PM
FM
With the DkA your invert sugar was probably to high. With invert sugar if it is too high it will not allow the formation of crystals (so it will never really set up). And if the invert sugar is too low it will be grainy.
Some times a nice LtA will not have enough invert sugar in it and you can add a little Grade B to bring it in range. 1-2 % invert will work good by boiling it to 22 degrees over boiling point of water and 2-4 % boil it to 25 degrees over.
I cool it down to 60 degrees before disturbing it otherwise you will cause premature crystalization that will be grainy. Once I make some it I have any on hand Iwill use a tablespoon or so as a seed to quicken the process. When it looses its shine or sheen it is done.
Good cream will have no graininess at all and have the texture of frosting.
Keep at it and learn from your mistakes. Even myself sometimes I don't take the time to check the invert sugar and will have to ajust the temp alittle on my next batch.
Keith

doocat
03-26-2006, 09:05 PM
How do you check the % of invert sugar?

Michigander
03-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Doocat

There is a test for invert sugar in the North American Maple Syrup manual from Ohio State University. It can be found online at:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b856/index.html

Dave