PDA

View Full Version : Thanks from Newbies...

Stevenick
02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
I read last weekend about a guy using a deep fryer to boil sap.....
I own one of those and rarely use it, so my son and I go to the local store buy 5 pails, 5 lids 5 spiles on Tues. Tap fence line trees to start.
First night I have a bucket of sap... Holly mackeral, go out and buy 10 more buckets, spiles, lids. By Friday am we have 60 litres of sap. another 20 litres ran on friday during boil so we just kept adding it. Everytime we found ice layer in bucket we threw out ice.

Start boiling on deep fryer, the fryer crashes and I borrow 2 more stock pots. We boiled all day friday and then started again last night for 2.5 hours.
Made 5 litres of the sweetest super light coloured syrup I have ever tasted. (I think I am biased because anticipation made it taste so good)

I am hooked this is on the edge of a neighbours maple bush and they said help yourself to the trees..... I am eye balling that forrest like it is an untapped gold mine.

It has been a great project for my son and I...

Thanks for all the help that I read over the week, 7 degrees above boiling, filtering etc. This forum is terrific.

I am dreaming about a wood fired evaporator and definitely an R/O machine. Build it myself or buy used???

Oh and all the syrup is already accounted for in trades, gifts and pay back!!! LOL

happy thoughts
02-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Glad to hear you're hooked:) And wishing you and your son many more years of enjoyment.

Boy I hate bringing up the F word, but I just have to do it:( Go to your local supermarket or bakery and ask if they have any pails to give you, the kind cake filling and icing comes in. They are often glad to let you have them for free so you can save yourself some money. In addition, you're sure the containers are food safe which may not be the case with your hardware store buckets. Those may have been made from recycled that held toxic chemicals and other stuff you don't want on your panckes. Unless those hardware buckets are clearly marked food grade, you have no idea if those buckets can be used for food storage. On the other hand, any container in which food was sold, must be rated food grade.

Stevenick
02-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks Happy Thoughts,

I have access to some of those pails, might get out with somemore.
My next big issue is getting away from deep fryer. I have access to lots of free wood - well if you call our labour as free.
Not sure what to do for the first evaporator, seems like the bigggest jump off point.
Or would you make an r/o machine first?

SevenCreeksSap
02-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks Happy Thoughts,

I have access to some of those pails, might get out with somemore.
My next big issue is getting away from deep fryer. I have access to lots of free wood - well if you call our labour as free.
Not sure what to do for the first evaporator, seems like the bigggest jump off point.
Or would you make an r/o machine first?

You sound like the addiction is started. Try to figure out how many trees you can tap next year and in the future and try to build for that from the start, you'll save some in the long run vs upgrading every year. Start researching what you'll need for pan size and build on that. MHO is shoot for the evaporator first but an RO guy may say thats the way to go. I'm sure they're very helpful but I'd guess you need a certain amount of sap to make it worth it. If you know how to build one please post pics and directions for the rest of us.

Keep reading up here. you wouldnt believe how far ahead it'll get you. Good luck, this is a great thing to do with your family, but they'll probably start to think your a little nuts when it becomes an obsession.:rolleyes:

backyard sugaring
02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
You can build a block arch and use some steam pans fairly easy. I also use water jugs you would find in a water cooler in an office. Good Luck Lee