PDA

View Full Version : Which taps work the best?

warners point
02-25-2012, 06:49 PM
I have been collecting 2 and 3.5 gallon buckets from the bakery. Which taps work best for hanging the buckets directly on the tree? Can I use the health spouts made for drop tubes?

happy thoughts
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
just my own preference but I would not hang the buckets on the tree but use spiles made for tubing. Put the buckets on the ground and run a short piece of tubing into the buckets. You could also couple taps from the same tree into one bucket.

Some people run the tubing through a tubing sized hole in the lid, then cover the bucket. If you have spare buckets and not too many taps you can just swap an empty one for a full one. You could also run the tubing through the top side of the bucket though emptying will not be as easy. The lid would then work better in keeping rain out.

PerryW
02-25-2012, 07:04 PM
if you want to hang them , get the metal 7/16" spouts with a hook

michiganfarmer2
02-25-2012, 08:07 PM
many times when I see people set buckets on the ground, and use tubing, I see the wind blow th ebuckets over

adk1
02-25-2012, 08:08 PM
I am runningthe Leader 5/16" hookless spouts for my sap sacks

twocanines
02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
many times when I see people set buckets on the ground, and use tubing, I see the wind blow th ebuckets over

This year mine are on the ground because when I tapped there was no snow cover. We got a nice little storm day before and they are now snugged in nicely. I will be able to lift them out of their hole and pop them back in. In the past though I have used flagging tape to tie them down. Helps the wife find them if she goes out to collect while I'm at work.

happy thoughts
02-26-2012, 07:04 AM

I may just be lucky but have yet to have this happen. If the containers are fairly level (we stand them on big flat rocks and in one case put the container in a plastic milk crate), even a small amount of sap will help weight them. And the sap does stay colder than if hung on the tree if there's snow cover as twocanines already mentioned. If you're really concerned about tipping or blowing I suppose you could tape them as he does, or use a big bungee cord. We haven't needed to do that.

PerryW
02-26-2012, 07:13 AM
the original poster is talking about 2 - 2.5 gallon pails, which would probably only handle one tap as opposed to the typical 5 gal pails that you can pipe 2 or 3 taps into.

happy thoughts
02-26-2012, 07:32 AM
the original poster is talking about 2 - 2.5 gallon pails, which would probably only handle one tap as opposed to the typical 5 gal pails that you can pipe 2 or 3 taps into.

yeah you're probably right there. Somehow I missed the bucket volumes:emb:

Sugarbush Ridge
03-16-2012, 11:32 PM
My main problem is the "tree rats" and racoons,, I think, but one bunch that got turned over was right along a "goverment beef",,, deer,,, trail. I use 5/16" tubing into holes in lids and that seems to help keep the buckets from blowing over. Cutting 2 cuts about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way around the lid to near the center of lid make for a nice flap to pour out, empty bucket without removing the lid each time. Drill hole for tubing in the flap part and a little oversize for taking it out for emptying bucket. This was my first year for doing the flap and worked very good most of time.