PDA

View Full Version : Help with Leader Half Pint Evaporator with older-style arch

Adammp1
02-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Hello...I'm new to this. I just purchased a used half-pint evaporator with the older-style arch (round bottom but not the 55 gal drum type). It does not have the fire brick installed and is missing the grate. I have seen the manual for the new stye arch online, but it is not very helpful for figuring out how the brick/grate should be setup on this older-style arch. I would be grateful for any advice/pictures/instructions on how to set this up properly. I don't see how the brick is supposed to stay securely cemented to the sides of the arch and how the grate is supposed to be designed/placed. Also there is a tube with what appears to be air holes running lengthwise on the bottom of the arch. I was told by the leader shop foreman that this was likely a modification made for a blower...any thoughts? last, I paid $500.00 for this as is; is that a fair price? Thanks.

sapbrush
02-26-2012, 08:01 AM
hi i have a half pint that i have boiled on for years, it works great i get6 to 8 gallons an hour out of mine with no problem i only put in around 30 taps and have no problem with that, as far as bricking it i did cause i bought mine new, if you go to the leader web site all the instructions for bricking are on there, its not to hard to do,check out there site and if you need any help with it frop me a line jim

Adammp1
02-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Thank you sapbrush. I went ahead with the brick and mortar...It came out fine. The instructions on the web helped me get the jist of it however, those instructions are for the new-style square arch...it's a bit harder to cement something to a round surface...I managed to get it done though! Just need to add a grate and I'm ready to go. Still looking for an opinion on what this evaporator is worth (now with new fire-brick) thanks.

highlandcattle
02-26-2012, 04:45 PM
The directions for any evaporator type are just terrible. I've complained to the companies and they just say that's the way it is. Great business sense there. get their money and oh,well.. New half-pints now cost over $1,000.00. We had one when they first came out years ago. Was able to sell it for it for the same after one year of use. So, yeah, guess you did good.