PDA

View Full Version : This area is tough for anything!

John c
02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
All I want is a hydrometer and the closest place I've found one is a 45 minute drive away, so by the time I pay for gas in my Chevy 350 to get it...it'll end up being a $100 hydrometer. I always run into this problem no matter what I'm trying to buy! What happened to the good old days when you could just go get stuff like that at your local farm-N-home store?
Yup...I'm frustrated!
Thanks for letting me vent.

spud
02-25-2012, 01:42 PM
If it was made in China then it would be in your local store. We have no shelf space for made in the USA products.

Spud

danno
02-25-2012, 02:34 PM
If Country Side in Deruyter is where you're talking about, Sandy will ship one to you for far less than the price of gas. We've had two local shops in Syracuse begin selling maple supplies in the past year, so maybe things are looking up.

John c
02-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Well,...I made the trip to Bakers maple in Bainbridge NY to get a hydrometer. I'm glad I went cuz I was able to meet some real nice, down to earth, realistic folks. It was well worth the trip, thanks Bakers!

twocanines
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Now if you'd bought a rack of suds also that would have halved the total cost of the Hydrometer to $50 .....

mike z
02-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Too bad you don't live in Dairy Center; I'd give you an extra I have. You could move?

happy thoughts
02-25-2012, 06:18 PM
If it helps any, if you by a pair because you always need a spare, that will bring the cost down per unit.

Just trying to make some lemonade out of lemons:cry:

Brent
02-25-2012, 06:58 PM
All I want is a hydrometer and the closest place I've found one is a 45 minute drive away, so by the time I pay for gas in my Chevy 350 to get it...it'll end up being a $100 hydrometer. I always run into this problem no matter what I'm trying to buy! What happened to the good old days when you could just go get stuff like that at your local farm-N-home store?
Yup...I'm frustrated!
Thanks for letting me vent.

Sounds like a business opportunity to me !!!!!!

John c
02-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Sounds like a business opportunity to me !!!!!!
I was thinking the same thing!

John c
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
My first experience with a hydrometer went very, very well. I can't believe I lived without one!

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I feel your frustration John C, I live in central Maine where you look around in any direction and you see hundreds of Maples at your service. Sugaring is getting more popular but they're few suppliers with even fewer supplies to choose from. I've been looking for gasket,insulating,firebrick and etc. material around here and when they ask what I want it for, they look at me like they never heard of such a thing. I work at FWWebb as a welder and saw and took pics. of 12 rolls 1000' feet long of 3/4" maple sap piping( 2.27 miles :o) sold to a new guy that has never boiled sap before, I'm impressed to see this at work, I think I might hit them up for an outside sales job selling maple equipment!! what a job huh!!:lol:

Richard Gress
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I got sick and tired of looking at bubbles in a pan for seven years and trying to firgure if they were "done bubbles". Only to do all my canning and find soupy syrup the next. I broke down and ordered a hydrometer. This littly baby "changed my life". Love it! And if I drop the little bugger, my life will change again-for the worse. Rich G

PerryW
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
you really should not use the word broke and hydrometer in the same sentence.

John c
02-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, they sure do seem pretty darn fragile!

SPILEDRIVER
02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
gee john if id have seen this sooner alls you would of had to do was drive the 5 miles to my house and id have sold you one of my extras!!!

John c
02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
gee john if id have seen this sooner alls you would of had to do was drive the 5 miles to my house and id have sold you one of my extras!!!
Bummer! Well I guess this is a good time to PM our numbers to eachother. PM sent!