PDA

View Full Version : Open Creek- Cant Cross it !!!

TerryEspo
02-25-2012, 08:27 AM
5488Just another frustrating item to go on our list of a weird year !!

I have a lot of Maples to tap across my creek and it is partially open allready (never really froze good to start with). Too much snow here for the ATV to come out and too much water for the snowmachine to cross it,,,geesh !!

I am way to lazy to walk and carry buckets back full of sap !!

Anybody use to helicopter to collect sap ??

I feel like all the maples across the creek are laughing at me !!

What a season this year !!

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Terry

02-25-2012, 08:49 AM
What about a bridge made of some logs to get across

spencer11
02-25-2012, 08:56 AM
how about having a small tank with tubing on it to run across the creek. like a dump station for buckets. or pump it across?

spencer

danno
02-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Beat down a path with the snowmobile, take the 4 wheeler up and leave it creekside and use the snowmobile to come back out. I've done that before - just the opposite. Use the tractor from the sugarhouse to the woods, and leave the snowmobile at the edge of the woods - woods always holds more snow than the fields.

Bucket Head
02-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Three questions. What is top speed on the atv? Can you build two ramps? Do you own a helmet? Those trees may be tapable afterall!

Seriously, I'd find a way to get the sap across. Dumping stations with a line going over for gravity feed or pumping it are both good ideas. I would hate to pass on trees that were'nt too far out.

Steve

TerryEspo
02-25-2012, 07:37 PM
I added a couple pics to kinda show my problem !! I loved the advice about a ramp and helmet, made me smile !! Thanks

PerryW
02-25-2012, 08:06 PM
no problem. here's the solution. Just get up a little speed first

(click on thumbnail)

TerryEspo
02-25-2012, 08:18 PM
I love that pic.

Dont think my Ski-Doo Expedition has the parts for that syle of riding, if it does, I dont have the guts !! :o

twocanines
02-26-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm with Buckethead, maybe contact Burt Reynolds and see if that Trans Am is available.

Bucket Head
02-26-2012, 08:53 PM
After seeing the picture, I see the creek is wider than I thought. No problem, you just have to build the ramps with a steeper angle than originally planned! A little more 'lift' upon takeoff and you'll be fine....

Steve

79Binder
02-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Do you own the land??? if you do the log bridge sounds the best. We sometimes use field stone to make a base and make it shallow enough to wade the atv accross. I have a creek that divides my woodlot. about one in 5 years, when the snow gets melted with a heavy rain, the creek can be impassable for a day or two. I am able to load the Mule on a trailer, and drive around to access it from the other side.

XU1200
03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
5581Hi, on my lot it have a creek that don't frost each winter, i've solved the problem to cross the creek with a bridge. It's an old CN flat car, put it on concrete block and that the job.Bernard in Quebec

lfdiaff
03-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Do a search on Clist for a 1969 Dodge charger. Go to the hardware and buy some orange paint. Get a horn that plays dixie. Find a road closed barrier and a brush pile to put on both sides of the creek. Take the charger to town and find some local police. Have them chase you to your sugar bush. Get up to speed and just before you hit the brush pile hit the horn. Pause in mid air for a sec. Then land on the other side. Load up all your sap. Then hit the brush pile on the other side alittle faster to compensate for the added weight. Make sure you hit the horn everytime before you hit the brush pile or it wont work. You should be good to go that has to work I seen it happen a thousand times growing up. If you find a lady named daisy send her my way.