PDA

View Full Version : Northwest PA Maple Tour and Taste

Sugarmaker
03-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Northwest PA had a great weekend for our third annual Maple Tour and Taste. 11 sugar houses in our association participated and early reports are that all were well attended. Some having near 600 visitors each day.

At our sugarhouse we had approx 275 interested folks come through the doors during the 2 day event. ( For us that's enough, our sugarhouse can't hold many more.)

Northwest PA Taste and Tour also included the North West NY Maple weekend web site on our site.

We were boiling sap both days and folks really liked that. As they entered the warm sugarhouse most commented on the sweet smell. We also gave everyone a bowl with a couple of table spoons of light maple syrup boiled to 230. They stirred to the consistency they desired and most made cream and then soft, almost white, maple fudge.
One future sugar maker left with two old buckets, lids, and spiles to get started making his own syrup. One young girl (after visiting our sugarhouse on Saturday) was allowed to decide where she wanted to go on Sunday, and she chose to come back again.
We had our Maple Queen and or Maple Darling visit and we have picture of them stoking the wood fire.
We had a foreign exchange student from Ecuador, he took many pictures and was very interested.
We had family that we see only once in a while show up.
We made many new friends and accepted very nice compliments on our sugar house.
Three of my fellow classmates from High school visited. Rick, Cindy and Tom. I had not seen Tom since 1969.
We had neighbors stop by for the first time and introduce themselves. We had Cub Scouts on Saturday and Daisy girl scouts on Sunday.

Our sales were as good a last year.
We sold a lot of speciality products. The maple coated nuts, and the maple mustard was a hit.
We also had clear squeeze bottles of light med, dark and B syrup for people to taste. This worked great. and many folks liked the dark more robust flavor of the darker syrup.
Our custom display rack for the sample bottles was a success, ( see pictures on our web site). (Local Master carpenter Mr Gene Carr will custom make these for sugarmakers if interested.) And most folks wanted to know about the various color shades of amber.

I hope all producers in PA and NY had a great time. And thanks to all the folks that attended. We had many sugarmakers stop by to visit and share sugaring stories.
Thanks to all the folks that made this event a success.

Tired in PA
Chris

Dave Y
03-21-2006, 06:23 AM
Chris,
Congratulations on a successful event. We Had a fairly good weekend here in Marienville. Boiled off over 400 gal, and made close to 10 gal of med amber. We also had a number of visitors. we always have out the welcome mat. The open sign is a column of steam blowing across Rt66. For some reason It always brings in visitors. People I have never seen before in my life start appearing through the steam. They just stand there looking on almost in awe as this old rig sits there belching fire and blowing off steam. I can"t figure out the attraction. Once again congrats on your event. Hope it never gets old for any of us.