PDA

View Full Version : Too much wind

maple flats
02-25-2012, 07:08 AM
For about 12 hours starting about 7pm last night we had far too much wind. Now I'll need to check the lines for limbs and trees down. Will be going out soon to start. I hope no one had major damage.
Dave

collinsmapleman2012
02-25-2012, 07:44 AM
it has been really ripping out there

Redmaple
02-25-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm heading out to check also. The wind is crazy here in peterborough. Good luck.;)

danno
02-25-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm afraid to go check. Gonna wait till tomorrow when the wind/snow subsides - not expecting any sap till Monday.

maple flats
02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Danno, I actually decided the same. Wind should end so tomorrow will be better for recon.

Clarkfield Farms
02-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Too many widow-makers; I decided on tomorrow also.

Clarkfield Farms
02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
How'd it go, Dave? I checked mine on the hill and all was well. I'm sort of surprised, but not really; what I mean is, I've noticed for at least the past 30 years that when trees are subjected to wind all the time, they adapt to the adversity. They get stronger. Their root system compensates. The grain of the wood gets tougher and more interlocked. It's most noticeable when a windstorm comes along and hits the hills and the valleys and points up the differences between those routinely exposed to adversity and those not: On the hills, generally, things are okay, but in the valleys, where the trees aren't used to it, there's significant damage as there was from what I saw this morning in the valleys. The valley trees just can't handle it as well. They've had nothing to prepare them for it.

And for the past 25 or so years, I've noticed that it's pretty much the exact same way with people.

And now I'll get off of the philosophical soap box. :)

Round Mtn Mapler
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
still windy here...and too cold for sap run today. I too am gonna check the tubing tomorrow and see if theres any damage...

lew
02-26-2012, 07:39 PM
We did a quick check of mainlines today in our big woods. Only one main totally down and 3 others needed to be regraded. Not bad at all for all the wind. Will check laterals once the vac can be turned on.

Tithis
02-26-2012, 09:39 PM
The wind managed to get two of my taps off the trees.

danno
02-26-2012, 09:46 PM
One lat pulled apart - I'll take it!!! Have already had to fix a couple of mainline breaks over the past month - I hate mainline breaks!