PDA

View Full Version : New 2x6- How do I configure the Syup Pan?

DSKUP
02-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Hi all,

I'm having a 2x6 arch made with a 2x4 raised flue continuous flow sap pan, and a 2x2 syrup pan- per the advice of some on this forum. Now the question is, should I put dividers in the syrup pan as well? How many? Should they to be configured the same as the flue pan (dividing the pan into equal sections) and with slots to allow the sap to flow between them?

Appreciate your advice!

PerryW
02-25-2012, 06:43 AM
yes, putting dividers in the front pan will allow you to take off syrup directly from the evaporator. I have seen 2x2 syrup pans with 2 compartments (1 divider) and 4 compartments(3 dividers). The more compartments, the smaller the take-offs (and closer together). Technically, more compartments would allow you to make slightly better grade.

Since it's a raised flue, you will need a float box (or 2 float boxes if it's a reversible flow)

Jec
02-25-2012, 10:45 AM
They can go in the same direction or in perpendicular. Perpendicular is called cross flow. Mine is like that. It realy doesn't matter the direction. You would probally want to make the syrup pan reversible. This will cut down on the amount of times you would have to clean it in the season.

DSKUP
02-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the advice!

MapleME
02-25-2012, 06:41 PM
They can go in the same direction or in perpendicular. Perpendicular is called cross flow. Mine is like that. It realy doesn't matter the direction. You would probally want to make the syrup pan reversible. This will cut down on the amount of times you would have to clean it in the season.

Jec, check your PM

Thanks!