PDA

View Full Version : Boiling yet?

Revi
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
We sweetened the pan a bit yesterday. We only had about 50 gallons, but tomorrow we'll have about a hundred to boil. Still no syrup, but maybe a little tomorrow.

tessiersfarm
02-24-2012, 05:52 PM
We have 130 gallons of sap ready to sweeten the pans tomorrow, or sunday. Plenty of ice in the tank so no worries I guess.

adk1
02-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I had my first boil on Wednesday. About 130gallons. Didnt draw any syrup but really sweetened the pans. Probably wont boil until meid week next week unfortunatly due to weather

MainelyMaple
02-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Gonna boil for a few hours in the morning to sweeten the pans, only 450 in the tank. I Still have 300 taps to get in so I should have plenty of time to do that this weekend.

02-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Boiled like 300 gallons in the past three days made 2 or 3 gallons of light or fancy hope to put out another 50 or so taps on vaccum.

abbott
02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Up to 18 gallons of syrup. Have over 500 gallons of sap in the tank, so i should draw off 12+ more tomorrow. No impressive runs so far, but i've had sap every day for the last week. Still trying to finish tapping...

Revi
02-26-2012, 06:34 AM
We boiled yesterday, but still no syrup. We have a lot of almost syrup now, so the next boil should end up with some nice syrup.

western mainer
02-26-2012, 03:46 PM
We Had our first boil today, I don't know the sugar count but it's better than last year by far, it didn't take long for it to darken up.
Brian

JuniperHillSugar
02-28-2012, 08:04 PM
We have boiled about 150 gallons so far. Just took a small draw off tonight. Some of the wood isn't as dry as I'd like, but it works. The Mason 2x4 is working good as always for our small operation.

twitch
02-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Did a test boil with some water in the new to me evap, does that count? got 120 gallons of sap that is pretty much frozen right know. I hope to get some fresh stuff on Saturday to help thaw it out and boil on Sunday. Being partially frozen for week will that bother anything?

Revi
02-29-2012, 07:59 PM
We are getting tiny runs despite it being all frozen up. The tube was running a little around 4pm yesterday, and today the same thing. The temps were only around 25 degrees both days. Wierd. Not that it's enough to boil yet. We'll have to wait for Saturday's run now I guess...

Maple Ridge
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Had about 150 gal in my holding tank. By the time I filled the system, I was able to boil last Friday and a half day Sunday. Only made 1.5 gal, but the pans are full and ready to go for the next boil. Every thing worked well for me. sugar content low, 1.5% to 1.75%.

chefchap
03-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Bottled twice now have put up 7 gallons so far nice rainy day
Today for boiling :-)

sjdoyon
03-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Had a small run of 1,100 gallons last week before a foot of snow fell and cold temps moved in. Weather still in the teens, supposed to finally break on the 7th. Season is still on schedule from past years.

MapleME
03-03-2012, 09:19 PM
We are getting tiny runs despite it being all frozen up. The tube was running a little around 4pm yesterday, and today the same thing. The temps were only around 25 degrees both days. Wierd. Not that it's enough to boil yet. We'll have to wait for Saturday's run now I guess...

Revi, did you have anything to boil this weekend? We were only able to collect 40 gallons or so on friday since everything was frozen solid. I did get a chance to run the new rig though, she runs real nice!!

spud
03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I got 4000 gallons of sap today. Still coming in at 10:00 tonight at 400 gallons per hour.

Spud

MapleME
03-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I got 4000 gallons of sap today. Still coming in at 10:00 tonight at 400 gallons per hour.

Spud

hahah, hey spud, go back to VT! Us Mainers are all frozen up!! nothing running!

Sandy
03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
60 gallons in tank, 40 more gallons to add just today! Looks like it's starting to run well here. Been jealous of everyone getting good runs to the south. Will be boiling real soon.

maineboiler
03-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I am a first time sap boiler with a modest sugarbush in Oxford, Maine. I am still in the process of building my sugar shack, but I hope to be able to boil by mid week. I tapped close to 100 trees today, mostly red maples and the sap was flowing by mid afternoon. I am from Vermont originally and I am more used to seeing sugar maples. We'll see how it goes !

Maineboiler
2 X 6 evaporator, oil fired
100 taps so far in 2012
17 HP Kubota tractor sap collector
Helpful wife (from a sugaring family)

Ryan August
03-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Second year rookie. 20+ taps last year close to 50 this year. I was very disappointed in this weekends sap total, not much at all! I was expecting a good run with the temps. I put taps in 2-3 weeks ago when we had that early warm spell. I have a few great trees, the rest are hardly dripping. Any chance going so early, i could have taps going dry or was this weekend poor on sap run for most. Got a foot of fresh snow on the ground, could be slowing things?? I am in WInthrop for location reference.

hotfire
03-05-2012, 07:22 AM
ran 900 gal through my (new to me ro) . went in @ 2 % came out @ 8 sweeeeet , boiled for a couple hours and drew off about 5 gal . i went slow at first , i also have a maple guru auto draw off , wanted to make sure it would work ok . it seemed to work well . the ro saves alot of boiling time . more time to drink .... i mean work on other things.

twitch
03-05-2012, 07:39 AM
sweetened the pans last night everything went well. No draw yet but got that nice smell in the air. Hotfire if you feel like your not spending enough time boiling stop over.LOL

Revi
03-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Revi, did you have anything to boil this weekend? We were only able to collect 40 gallons or so on friday since everything was frozen solid. I did get a chance to run the new rig though, she runs real nice!!

We got nothing, nada, zip. We did get a little bit on Sunday night, but the rest of the weekend was too cold for sap flow around here, so we went skiing at Saddleback. Next weekend looks really good, so we'll see what happens. Glad to hear your new rig works well. I would love to see it some time, but the next three weekends are booked. Maybe we should get together as the season winds down near Augusta or something. Let me know. Iver

hotfire
03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Ok , when im done boiling at say 6:30 or so i'll come to your place and help you till mid night lol

twitch
03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
sounds good just bring something to drink boiling can make a guy thirsty

Ok , when im done boiling at say 6:30 or so i'll come to your place and help you till mid night lol

sapsick
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM
hey Iver, any chance i could bring about 8 cub scouts by your place one evening during the next week or two when you are boiling? they are bear scouts (3rd graders) from the local Skowhegan Pack 485.

maineboiler
03-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Nothing but small amounts of frozen sap in the buckets today. I am hoping for a good run at the end of the week. We'll see how the evaporator works out ( I bought it used this year)

Round Mtn Mapler
03-06-2012, 05:59 AM
been tapped for three weeks and only got about 70 gallons sap so far.
I have done two boils so far and no draw and the sap is just sitting in the evaporator.....waiting on a big run.
Think I will keep the first draw for myself since the sap been sitting for a while.
Your all welcome to bring your sap downeast for a big boil!!!

Revi
03-07-2012, 08:32 AM
hey Iver, any chance i could bring about 8 cub scouts by your place one evening during the next week or two when you are boiling? they are bear scouts (3rd graders) from the local Skowhegan Pack 485.

Sure. I am never sure when we'll be boiling, but it looks like Wednesdays or Thursday evenings are the best bet. Give me a call at 474-7370.

We'll be there tonight, but that's short notice. We'll be boiling a bit from about 6-9pm. Stop by. It looks like it's picking up so I'll be there in the afternoons to collect the buckets as well.

DIMariner
03-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Collected 77 gallons this weekend, sent 55 through the evaporator. I've got 5-6 quarts ready to be finished off next weekend when I have a little time.

lynxridge
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
We have had the same thing happen to us. We put ours in about 4 weeks ago and I am wondering if it was too early. We have a few awesome trees that seem to carry us. We've done two boils (maybe 80gal total). It has really started to pick up though the last few days. We have about 30gal in storage from yesterday and this morning. Our first batch was light but last weekends was wicked dark.

Second year rookie. 20+ taps last year close to 50 this year. I was very disappointed in this weekends sap total, not much at all! I was expecting a good run with the temps. I put taps in 2-3 weeks ago when we had that early warm spell. I have a few great trees, the rest are hardly dripping. Any chance going so early, i could have taps going dry or was this weekend poor on sap run for most. Got a foot of fresh snow on the ground, could be slowing things?? I am in WInthrop for location reference.

GotSap?
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Put 89 gallons through the evaporator Friday night and Saturday. Bottled 1 gallon and 1 pint of very light syrup on Sunday. Sap was running good yesterday afternoon, and I expect a good run today. Will be collecting tonight and probably boiling again tomorrow night.

Revi
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
We may have a run today, but after this no freezes until Thursday. We made a gallon and a half so far, but it looks like this season may be a washout.

We are having fun though. We made some medium anyway.

sapsick
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
we ve made a gallon of Fancy sofar from that really early run from before the freeze. Then pulled out another 2 gals of medium on Sunday. sap totals are starting to pickup over the last couple of days. hopefully they will keep runnin even if its just a little bit. we really need to make more syrup!!!

maineboiler
03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
The run picked up yesterday and I fired up the evaporator for the first time today. Still need to sugar the pans and I did not have enough sap to make a batch and not leave the pans dry. Hoping for a good run tomorrow.

Maineboiler
2 X 6 evaporator
130 taps
12 X 16 sugar shack

MainelyMaple
03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I've ran 1500 through the evaporator so far and pulled 30 gal of med a so far. And I still have 600 gal that needs to be boiled tomorrow. Unfortunately the weather doesn't look promising at all. Looks like MAYBE thurs it will run. Until then we'll leave the vac on and take what we can get.

hambone
03-13-2012, 02:45 AM
We had a really good run starting Sunday afternoon, right thru the night and well into Monday. Finally going to boil today here in Cornville.

abbott
03-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Nearly 2000 gallons of sap here over the last two days. About 900 still in the tank. Nice to be making syrup, but still a long way from where i'd like to be. Looks hopeful for a freeze wednesday night.

gmcooper
03-13-2012, 07:23 AM
So far we have been having a good year. Most everything is on vacuum and has been running quite well. We are well ahead of last year at this point and that was our best year ever. Even out on our gravity and buckets have been doing ok. Sugarsand has been a bit less the last couple days.

Revi
03-13-2012, 08:13 AM
We made some syrup last night, so we're up over 3 gallons so far for the year. It's not much, but we are less than half way through March, and it may not be too bad this week. It's not freezing until Weds. night, but that's okay because we have had a chance to catch up a bit.

Round Mtn Mapler
03-13-2012, 08:53 AM
We made some syrup last night, so we're up over 3 gallons so far for the year. It's not much, but we are less than half way through March, and it may not be too bad this week. It's not freezing until Weds. night, but that's okay because we have had a chance to catch up a bit.

About the same here Downeast.

Made around 2.5 gallons so far on around 300 taps.

Actually had a good run yesterday!

Kennebec
03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
We have made 3 1/4 gallons so far. We had a good run Sunday and a better run yesterday.
It looks to me like thursday and friday may be good days.
Very encouraged and having a great time making sugar!

twocanines
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Finishing up a batch I began to bring in over the weekend. Seems to have lightened up a lot from what I made at first. Very happy with the 10 extra taps on gravity. 5653

maine guide
03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
here in Rockport its been running well but today it was really slow. perhaps thats going to be it for this season. i've made over three gallons on 30 taps and should get close to a gallon tomorrow. syrup has been getting progressively darker this will be the fifth boil tomorrow. We had quite a party on Sandy pond sunday did you hear us two canines?

twocanines
03-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Sunday was a **** fine day, I didn't hear a thing though! Maybe you just weren't loud enough? (I did have a chain saw running most of the day)

Sandy
03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Good start over here, taps are spewing and boiled about 3-1/2 gallons so far. Broke hydrometer (daggumit) and waiting for new one to come tomorrow so we can finish/filter/bottle. 2x4 can't keep up with sap flow this week, gotta get back to shack 'n keep on boilin'! (Plus maybe too much "Cabin Fever"- apologies to the Robillard boys-it's the best but I add my own syrup and make it so wicked good!)