PDA

View Full Version : taps in last weekend; wont' be back until Mar 8...problem?

NorthRiversapguy
02-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm a newbie, 1st year. I put ~ 100 taps in President's day weekend with buckets at our second home in Southern Vermont.
Had to leave Tuesday and won't be able to get back up until Mar 8. I left the taps in, but took the buckets off. I'm hoping that the sap will still be flowing when I get back.

Is there anything wrong with leaving the taps in this long (and letting the sap just drip to the ground? Am I better off drilling new holes when I get back up there in 2 weeks?

Thoughts??

Thanks!

Leader 2 X 6 wood burner

StayinLowTech
02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
No you will not have to retap - its just a shame to waste it.

Jeff E
02-24-2012, 04:11 PM
The taps will be OK.
The tap holes will begin to heal, so the sap flow will slow as time goes by. Typically, about 5-7 weeks after they are drilled out.
Next time leave the buckets in place. It they fill up and over flow, at least you have the full buckets!
Worst case is you are gone a long time and it is warm, and the sap goes bad. Then you have to dump out the sap and clean up the buckets.

GeneralStark
02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
The taps will be OK.
The tap holes will begin to heal, so the sap flow will slow as time goes by. Typically, about 5-7 weeks after they are drilled out.
Next time leave the buckets in place. It they fill up and over flow, at least you have the full buckets!
Worst case is you are gone a long time and it is warm, and the sap goes bad. Then you have to dump out the sap and clean up the buckets.

Depending upon the type of bucket, worst case is they fill, freeze and then the bucket splits and is ruined.

PerryW
02-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Depending upon the type of bucket, worst case is they fill, freeze and then the bucket splits and is ruined.

I agree. Sunday's predicted weather would be enough to freeze the buckets solid.

Old County Road
02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi North River,

Are you located any where near Halifax, Vt? I have property there and I've been sugaring on it the past four years. I live down on Cape Cod so I make the journey up to Vt once or twice a week to collect and boil.

I agree with the other responders - I don't see any problems although it might be advisable to leave your buckets up in the future. You could always dump them when you return if you think the sap has sat to long. The only downside might be your buckets building up more bacteria - but I'm guessing as long as it is cold that wouldn't be a huge problem - though I could be wrong and others can correct me. The last few years I tapped in mid-February and I had good luck all the way till early April, and I haven't seem any significant bacteria issues (I use sap sacks to collect). At times I've had to wait up to two weeks to boil sap - and believe it or not - it has held up fine as long as it has been kept somewhat cool and been kept out of the sun.

Good luck with your operation when you get back to VT and if you are near Halifax and want to bounce any questions off me feel free to send me an email.

NorthRiversapguy
02-25-2012, 01:33 PM
I am indeed in Halifax. I'm sure you would recognize my property on Rt 112...in fact you may have seen the new sugar house I've built. What's you email?

On the ledge
02-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Old County where on the the Cape are you? I moved up to New Hampshire from Mashpee 4 years ago and have been sugaring from the first year, sure don't miss the Cape.

Old County Road
02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
We live in Sandwich - been here for a bit over 6 years now and overall we are pretty happy with it as a community.

North River - I got your email - I'll reply back in a bit.

northwoods_forestry
02-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Hey All - I wouldn't leave those buckets out that long without emptying. A couple hard freezes in a row and I think you'd come back to a bunch of split pails. Old County Road uses sap bags, those seem to do pretty good holding sap through freeze thaw cycles.