PDA

View Full Version : Bottling w/ bacon jugs?

chuckinduck
02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Hey everyone, just started making syrup last year, and wanted to try bottling in the plastic jugs this year. I'm going to be bottling in pints to start off? Any special process to doing it? Heat the lids/jugs w/ warm water before adding the syrup and just put the caps on and tip on their side to seal? Thanks in advance.
Ryan

maplekid
02-24-2012, 09:10 AM
make sure you buy about 10 extra lids. when the jugs and caps get hot with syrup in them and you turn them... you basically strip the threads on some. get your caps on quick and tighten imediately after. other than that,just lay them on there sides for a couple mins to kill the ''bad air'' at the top of the jug.

chuckinduck
02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
thanks for the help, is it necessary to warm the bottles and caps before filling?

Dill
02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Nope just make sure your syrup is hot.

mapleack
02-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Nope just make sure your syrup is hot.
Specifically warmer than 180 degrees.

chuckinduck
02-25-2012, 07:36 AM
thanks for your help guys.

farmstandsupply.com
02-25-2012, 02:14 PM
The caps we sell with our Bacon jugs are redesigned to resist expansion under high heat and lock tight. They really are the best. We offer Bacon in PA, Ohio and All-State. Feel free to PM for more info on bottling with Bacon Jugs.

PerryW
02-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I think a box of bacon jugs comes with some extra caps because I seem to be accumulating them over the years. I can't remember the last time I had a leaker.

I have a dial thermometer of my filter canner that reads 60-250 degrees and I stop filling when the temp drops below 185. Keep the jugs inside the plastic bag and in the box when not using them and store them in a rodent-proof place. I take the empty jugs out of the box and put them upright on a table and put the caps on loosly to prevent dust. The just before I fill the jug, I tip it upside down and give it a whack just in case there is a loose bit of plastic inside the container. I turn them upside down after filling and rest them on their caps (except the gallons, which I rest on their sides). Make sure the jugs are not touching to prevent "stack burn" while cooling and tip the gallons upright after 10-15 minutes to they don't have a permanent dimple on one side.

Russell Lampron
02-25-2012, 08:05 PM
The bacon jugs have the best cap design in the industry. I have never had a leaker. I used to have some that would leak when I used Sugarhill jugs. Heat your syrup to about 190* and then fill your jugs. Once filled push the cap straight down onto the neck of the jug and give it a twist to tighten. Then lay the jug on it's side for a couple of minutes to sterilize the cap and heat the seal. I usually stand up the one that I laid down when the next one is filled. Don't heat your syrup over 193* as it will begin to release more nitre. If the syrup cools to 180* before you are done jugging it up reheat it to finish up.