PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Weather Cons?

Mapledawg
02-24-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm a 2nd year rookie and went all in this year. (new sugar house, 2x6 lapierre Jr, gravity tubing). Been out straight since Aug and just finished building/setup. My R&D year, if you will. I haven't tapped yet (100) as I've been a little cautious about the weather. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on my this. 1. Yeah the weather has been great (40's) with cool nights, but it is still winter and colder weather coming this weekend (teens-20's). 2. Most next week low to mid thirties. My question is, with this upcoming weather, if I had tapped and sap stopped running for say 4 days (weather forecast), in a gravity system, it seems the residual sap in the lines, is prone to go bad and cause bacteria? That said, is it wise that I wait until consistent warm weather (keeps lines flowing) or just jump right in and tap? I can see with vacuum, the residual sap is sucked out and they do not run into this problem? (It may not even be a problem). Any comment is much appreciated. I may be overthinking here....

PerryW
02-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Unless you are using vacuum with new plastic (or checkvalve spouts) your tapholes are good for 6 weeks or so, so the main disadvantage of tapping too early (for us gravity guys) is missing the end of the season.

You are correct that having sap in the lines for 4 or more days does reduce the grade, but not too much if the lines are frozen as bacterial action is reduced under freezing conditions. Also, I doubt vacuum actually sucks ALL the sap out of the lines.

TunbridgeDave
02-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Our bush is in Tunbridge and we finished tapping last Sunday. We do have vacuume and got a small run Wed into yesterday but not enough to start boiling yet. If you have your tubing set up with enough slope the only sap that stays in the line is what freezes, especially in the drop. If it's frozen I wouldn't worry about it. We get some frozen sap in our lines all the time because its about a mile from the last tree, to the sugarhouse.

If you can get all your tapping done in a day or so, I would wait until the forcast sounds better. Hopefully this next week. I listen to Roger Hill on WDEV who usually does a good job forcasting in Central VT for the sugarmakers.

My cousins started tapping their 8000 over 2 weeks ago but it takes them about that long to finish. They are down in Hartland, VT.

Good luck!

Mapledawg
02-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Very much appreciated. This forum is great! I'm a self taught but yet cautious adventurist. In other words, I've been "winging it". Maybe I've been trying to find an excuse to slow down from my aching bones :) Just installed black water line (suspended) down to the sugar house. I guess all the dots are are nearly connected now. Using my evap for the first time and filtering will be my next hurdle.

Mapledawg
02-24-2012, 07:50 AM
You guys been doing this a while have a better crystal ball than most. Mine is just the lump of coal I got for xmas. How long do you guys think the season will last?

PerryW
02-24-2012, 12:03 PM
You guys been doing this a while have a better crystal ball than most. Mine is just the lump of coal I got for xmas. How long do you guys think the season will last?

I'll wait until the season starts before making predictions about the end.:)

oneoldsap
02-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Waiting for a weather forecast with 3 40+ degree days in a row , or the weekend before town meeting , which ever comes first . If you can put all of your taps in , in one day , you might as well wait till the sap is running . I used to love to tap in the old days and hear that first drop of sap hit the bottom of the bucket . Old Ray used to say two drops to the heart beat , the sap is running ! Sugaring used to be a quiet endeavor , Just the gentle boiling of the evaporator , and the crackle of the fire ! Now it's vacuum pumps and R.O.s running , 24/7 . I miss the oldtimers that have passed on , and their stories too . Just shareing an observation !

Mapledawg
02-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks, I wondered if last week was too good to be true and some may have jumped in too soon on gravity when taps only last 6-7 weeks. Figured patience would pay off. When I see today lower 20's. Mon upper 30's, Tues low 30's, Wed upper 20's, thurs mid 30's, and Fri upper 30's and Sat 40's, it looks like it may be a wasted week (2 weeks for those tapped early if you count the missed end season) I'll tap some trees around the sugarhouse to help me better determine. Hopefully, I'll still be in a slow run and pass the hare...

adk1
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I have been tapped for a week and a half. Unfortunatly, I havent gotten alot of sap from my lines. There is sap in the lats where the sun hits the more open trees but where my mainline is it is more shaded and the saddles stay frozen up not releasing the sap into the mainline. I have been dealing with this all year. I had so much pressure on one of my upper lats yesterday that when I puleld the stubby off of the CV I released alot of pressure. was unbelieveable.

Mapledawg
02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
ADK, Looks like we may have similar setup. Mixed softwood (Hemlock here). Over time, between arch/firepit/garage woodstove and logging for new construction, will be all sugarmaple (If I live to 100). I will be very interested to compare early/later taps if willing. My instincts tell me to install taps this tues (28th). Partially due to business trip week of April 24 not to mention needing a break for my aching bones. Like me, you may need to eliminate the shade factor thru forest mgt of some trees. Hopefully not a mountain top. Good luck and please keep us posted on your status. Best of Luck.