PDA

View Full Version : Start Up Question

lfdiaff
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
I just shut down after 10 hours after boiling. I boiled 107 gallons of sap and am left with about an inch in my pan with is about 5 gallons. I have a 2x4 divided and was wondering what you pros thought. I never blocked off the dividers cause my original plan was to just finish on the turkey fryer in the morning. I was about to go to bed and I thought why couldnt I just add the sap I get tomorrow ( I am planning on about 40 gal ) to my pan and start my evaporator up again for another 4 or 5 hours. Would this be a better route or just finish what I have tomorrow and boil again in a couple days. I have my pan set up as a continuous flow but havent got to actully do a good flow because not enought sap.

slammer3364
02-24-2012, 03:38 AM
Yes just keep adding and boiling all season once you get it boiled it wont spoil. Once your done for season drain out and finish and clean evap

jmp
02-24-2012, 09:11 AM
If you add the new sap to your pan with whats left in there you are going to end up with darker syrup. Did I read your post right? If you don't care than have at it. Good luck!

TwinBay
02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Generally we tend to finish each batch rather than leaving a pan full vs darker sap from subsequent boils.
But we are only able to boil weekends this year since our shack is 150 miles from home, so I am interested to learn from these posts.
If the squirrels eat the tubing and raw sap, do critters head for a full pan of syrup??
It would be a shame to leave a batch only to have to filter out Mickey Mouse and a few of his buddies....