PDA

View Full Version : Sap Preheater Easiest idea, nothing fancy -SUGGESTIONS?

TerryEspo
02-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Hello All:

I want to make just a simple bucket or something that drips preheated sap into my boil pan. I have seen pics here that people use copper tube, but I can,t think how they make all the connections and stuff.

I guess I am asking if anyone has a neat idea for me to try. I dont mind buying some parts, copper tube etc., I would like to have a valve to regulate the flow too if possible???

Thinking,,,,Reservois to copper tube to dripping into boil pan ?? Open to any idea please.

Thanks guys.

Terry

PeddlerLakeSapper
02-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Search "preheater". You will be reading for hours....

TerryEspo
02-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Well, I went out to a local plumbing store, 5 gallon bucket in hand, lol.

I spent $16.00 dollars and am happy enough with this set-up.

The sold me a "bulkhead" fitting that goes thru the new hole in my bucket. From the bulkhead it goes to a plastic pipe with a tap on it. From the tap there is a fitting that will crimp a copper tube (friction fit) once I buy some tubing, planning on 20 ft. of tube.

The plastic gives some movement up until the copper tube will go on. My plan is to place the bucket above the boil pan, place copper tube around the pan to collect heat and simply drip into boiling sap. The tap allows me to regulate the drip.

Not the best looking but will work.

Now off to go drill some holes and play in the backyard.

Thanks Everyone.

Terry

Lukie
02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
I have this set up and works great( except ) when you run out of sap you need to move the copper tube with the little valve on the end away from you pan and run some fresh water through it or the sap will burn in the cooper tubing so when not using the preheater move the line away from your pan and flush.Plus if you close the valve so no sap is going threw it. It will boil in side of the tubing so you have to have a continous flow at all times even if it is a small drip so that it wont boil or burn in the line