PDA

View Full Version : 2X4- 2 smaller flat pans or 1 large flat pan?

Stamford sugarmaker
02-23-2012, 07:45 AM
My new 2X4 has a flat front pan connected to a flat rear pan. Each pan is aligned perpendicular to the other. My previous 2X4 pan had 3 partitions running length-wise. When drawing off the remaining sap for cleaning at the end of the night, I would simply raise the corner opposite the draw off valve and it would flow nicely. Cleaning it was also pretty easy.

It would seem like that simple operation would be nearly impossible with the configuration of the new rig. I could do it, but it would be a lot harder than the old way.

My question is this- why are pans generally set up that way? What are the benefits of having pans aligned in the opposite direction? What are the benefits of having 2 flat pans as opposed to 1 on a 2X4?

I am pretty sure I can get the builder of my evaporator to trade me a large flat pan for the 2 I already have. But I don't want to do that if there are big benefits of having 2 pans. I'm hoping the responses I get here will help me make that decision. (:

thanks, Peter

Stamford sugarmaker
02-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Anybody have any ideas on this? If I'm going to ask the evaporator maker to make a new pan I'd like to do it during this season. I have not boiled yet- it's been too cold at my location.

thanks, Peter

spencer11
02-26-2012, 08:38 AM
i really dont think it matters..with 2 small pans(if you are going to have dividers)i would have 2 pans, so the almost finished syrup would always be in the front region of the evaporator., with 1 big divided pan when the sap or syrup flows through the dividers it will go to the back and cool down. not sure if it matters. but without dividers i dont think it matters. hope this makes sence.

spencer

PerryW
02-26-2012, 08:42 AM
pros and cons to both. a single pan means no connector hoses to screw up. two pans makes it easier to lift the front pan out for cleaning.

Stamford sugarmaker
02-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the responses.

spencer,

I think you are correct when you say the syrup cools down a bit when it travels to the stack end of the pan. In my old full-sized 2X4 pan with dividers a did notice that. However, I don't think the temperature loss is significant.

PerryW,

The 2 smaller pans make the overall handling of the pans easier, but each night after boiling I need to drain all the good stuff out to save for the next boil. Then I clean it. 2 pans and the connecting tubing would make that process much more difficult than one large pan.

Can anyone explain why some evaporators of this size are built with 2 pans with the dividers going in opposite direction? I just don't understand the benefits and I hope I'm not missing something.

Peter