PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum leaks

Three Maples
02-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Any tricks for finding Vacuum leaks?

mapleack
02-23-2012, 07:24 AM
If you're using hook connectors or slide tensioners where your lateral lines reach the main you'll have loops of 5/16 at each. If there's no leak in that line the sap laying in the loop will be moving slowly or not even visibly. If the sap is shooting through the loop there is a leak. If there is, go to just past the first tree, grab the lateral line and bend it to create a dip, wait til it fills with sap. If its still shooting through go to the next tree and so on until you isolate where the leak is. This method saves a lot of time checking lines that don't have problems. Having loops at the main is absolutely invaluable. Another simple one that I see lots of people not using is gauges at the releaser on each main line. Lots of times you'll see one gauge on the releaser itself, then say four main lines coming in with no gauge. Instead, I put a valve on each mainline, with a gauge just up line from the valve. If I've got low vacuum the first thing I do is close each valve one at a time. If the vac level drops quickly in a line with the valve closed, you know which main your leak is on, narrowing the number of lateral loops you even have to look at to find the big leak. Yes you can hear the big leaks, but you might as well be deaf and use your eyes to find all the small ones that add up to a big problem. Good luck!

Three Maples
02-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Mapleack, very helpfull thank you for your reply.

Beweller
02-23-2012, 01:11 PM
After you have your taps in, but before sap flow starts, pressurize your system to maybe 5 psi. Then walk your lines with a bottle of snoop and a can of spray paint to mark the leaks.