PDA

View Full Version : Pannic sets in- Where's the sap?

thecabinguy
02-22-2012, 11:07 PM
I've been tapped since early last week. 40 taps on mostly Reds with a few sugars. They ran for a little bit the first day they were tapped, well, some did. Then just about all of them stopped and nothing or very little since. I'm a little concerned about how the lack of a winter here may have affected the sap run. Now we've got temps in the 50's with no freezing temps at night. Seems like everyone else is getting sap though, even around here. I'm wondering what's going on with my trees. Any ideas?

maple flats
02-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Did you leave drill shavings in the tap hole? They might be plugged. If not just wait until your next freeze to reset the process.

thecabinguy
02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Nope, no drill shavings. I've got dry holes. Many have produced about a cup of sap and not much more. I actually removed some taps from the dry trees to new trees that seemed to be running some. Ya, they pruduced about two cups. That was it. I'm guessing our non-winter has really affected the red maples. They have produced next to nothing. There are several huge reds that have only produced a few gallons of sap total. Some are just completely dry. I got more sap out of 10 taps last year than I have so far this year from 40. I'm quite disappointed. I finding the better trees though, and eliminating the bad. I'm going to have to tap my birches for some birch syrup or something. I've got tons of blacks and yellows. Maybe they'll give me something to run through my new evaporator.

PerryW
02-24-2012, 08:23 PM
you need a hard freeze, hard enough for the puddles to freeze completely (not just a skim of ice)

sugarwoodacres
02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
15 gallons of sap on 120 taps from 9am yesterday to 4pm today . need 20 degree temps!

thecabinguy
02-25-2012, 07:19 AM
The way this year is going. We may not see 20 degree temps again. I think I might be SOL.

BC Birch Tapper
03-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Give birch a try, although it sounds like there have been some warm temps on the east coast.