PDA

View Full Version : sap for surup trade

maplerob
02-22-2012, 09:42 PM
how do u figure sap for surupb trade is there some kind of formula or guidline

maple flats
02-23-2012, 04:21 AM
I think most do 50/50. Also if selling or buying sap price is determined often on 50% of wholesale price for syrup that will be made. A bigger processor sometimes will pay more if he realizes the true value of purchased sap, to encourage sap producers to expand.

northwoods_forestry
02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
It helps to have a sap hydrometer or refractometer to measure the sugar content of the sap as this plus volume will determine the sap/syrup split.

tuckermtn
02-24-2012, 05:49 AM
if you are talking about how much syrup to give to someone at the end of the season for the right to tap their trees, then I do a it at 10%. Take total gallons per tap that we produce and they get 10% back. Most landowners are tickled to get anything back once they see how much effort is involved.

PerryW
02-24-2012, 07:10 AM
figure the value of the sap by testing sugar content and keep track of the total gallons. Then give them the equivalent value of syrup.

Of course, this assumes that they are using all their own tubing, tanks and delivering it to your sugarhouse. If you are doing all the work and own all the tubing, then you are essentially renting the tapholes. I think a taphole is now worth about $0.40 to $0.50 per season.