PDA

View Full Version : Adk first boil 2/22/2012!

adk1
02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Had my first boil tonight! Had about 120 or so gallons in the tank. Fired up around 7pm and finished around 9 or so. Left alittle in the tank just to be safe. The ceramic insulation was doing its job as I could hold my hand on the outside side of the firebox with no problem and the blower is awesome! I really go the rig ripping! Drew off alittle sweet as I never got to draw of syrup for the next boiling session. Cant wait!

KV Sappers
02-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Congratulations on your first boil Adk!!!! I know it's been a long wait for you so now just sit back and savor the moment. I know that first draw of syrup will feel like manna from heaven!!!

Z/MAN
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Congrats ADK, It's been a long tme coming! When you get that first syrup you will know it was worth the wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GramaCindy
02-23-2012, 04:35 AM
WOO HOO! Congrats adk1! Let the fun begin

backyard sugaring
02-23-2012, 06:47 AM
We been cheering for you. I hope you enjoy it with your family as much as I have. Good luck to everyone. Lee

Brent
02-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Well done. It's great when a plan comes together. Keep your firings small, maybe 1 layer of wood only, and you'll maintain a more consistent boil that if you burn down low and then add a full load of ice cold wood. Your new wood will ignite better while your fire is still hot. Play with the blower. I generally crank it up a bit just as I add wood, then dial it back in about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes when the new wood is burning well.

adk1
02-23-2012, 08:10 AM
thats funny cause that is exactly what I figured out with the blower yesterday. That blower rocks!

Sunday Rock Maple
02-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Does your pan allow you to switch sides to draw off from for the second boil? We do that to keep sugar build up on the bottom of the pan to a minimum.

sugarman3
02-25-2012, 07:30 PM
hey ADK1-STOP DOWN TOMORROW,WE GOT 1300 GALLONS OF SAP TODAY,I WAS TOTALLY CONFUSED AFTER 35 YRS,NEVER SEEN THE SAP RUN AT 32 DEGREES WITH A STIFF WIND,GUESS THE TREE'S DON'T KNOW WHAT WIND CHILL IS,HOPE TO GET STARTED BY 11:00AM

adk1
02-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I have the same thing happen, although my trees didnt produce that much. MY saddles never thawed. I might do a quick boil tomorrow. Yeah, I switch sides

adk1
02-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Made my first batch of the liquid gold today. Made 3 quarts of Grade A Light Amber or Vt Fancy whichever you prefer. It is fabulous stuff! Did have a few mishaps along the way. First being my feed line froze up after I had already fired the arch, luckily we cought it in time and I had a bucket of sap at hand. Fixed that problem with a lead light on the fitting. Second was getting to that magic number 7 on the thermometer and having the hydrometer still hit the bottom. Was pulling off syrup as per the hydrometer at 223 degrees tonight. And it came quick once it got there. I pulled off 3+ quarts in one draw. Would have made syrup sooner and probably alittle more if I hadent had to throw in raw sap in the pans when I was having the freezup issue. Was an awesome night non the less!

4th.gen
03-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Congrats, ADK1. I'm glad to see our old baby working well for you. You made some nice improvements that will really help you. What do you think of our new set up in action? I can't wait to get the blower installed!

adk1
03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
that thing rips. You might be alittle scared with the addition of a blower!