PDA

View Full Version : Milkstone Remover Dilution Rate

twofer
02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
For you guys that are using the milkstone remover from TSC what are you using for a dilution rate? The rate on the label?

twofer
02-23-2012, 08:58 PM
In case anyone finds this thread I tried the recommended dilution rate on the bottle and it worked pretty good with a small fire under it. There was still some scrubbing to do after.

With that said I don't think that we'll be using it any more. At the last cleaning we ended up chasing the syrup pan with collected water from the steam hoods. We then put a pump on the two pan drawoffs and circulating the water over night. Pretty much all of the nitre was ate off the pan and what wasn't easily wiped off with a scotch brite pad. From now on we'll be using this method to clean because it was minimal effort and the results were just as good. We tried it before with the pan being cold it and it didn't work nearly as well. The key is heat on the pan.

Brent
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
good advice from twofer

heat is the key... get close to the boiling point with the cleaner in the pan

but please NO Scotchbright. You'll scratch the hell out of the surface of the pan. It's like sanding before you paint.
It helps stuff stick. Nothing rougher than a stiff bristle brush.

twofer
02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Color me confused Brent. The scotch brite pad is a "no scratch" sponge.

Ragged View
02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Twofer,
Do I understand correctly that you took hot water from your steam hood and circulated it straight, no cleaner added, over night w/o any fire under it?
Thanks,
Mark

twofer
02-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Twofer,
Do I understand correctly that you took hot water from your steam hood and circulated it straight, no cleaner added, over night w/o any fire under it?
Thanks,
Mark

Yes, that is correct. No cleaner, just straight steam hood water. The only heat was from a few coals in the firebox and the heat coming off the brick.

It worked great.

Brent
02-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Color me confused Brent. The scotch brite pad is a "no scratch" sponge.

I thought Scotch Brite was the green pads, about 1/4" thick. They are certainly abrasive. The certainly scratch up our frying pans.
The scary part is after you've used one, rinse the pan well, then take a clean white paper towel and run the inside of the pan. It turns
the towel grey..Next time you used the pan, how much of that goes into your food.

Anyway, if the green pads are not Scotch Brite, then color me confused. Just the same, don't scratch up the inside of your pans.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-26-2012, 03:41 PM
I used one gallon in the past for the syrup pan and the flue pan on my evaporator with about half of a gallon in each and it worked good when I used to use it. I have now went to vinegar with as good of results. I washed evaporator last night with 4 gallon of vinegar from Sams Club for about $ 7 and it worked great. 1 gallon in flue pan, 1.5 gallons @ in syrup pan and steamaway.