PDA

View Full Version : Pan side height ? Syrup vs. drop tube

smokeyamber
02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi, is 6 inches high enough for the side on a syrup pan ? Is 10 inches high enough for a drop tube ( copper tubes ) pan ? Just trying to work out the bending and trying to use a 4x8 sheet to do both syrup and flue pan for a 2x5 I am building. I read about the drop tube kinda exploding sap out so not sure if 10inches is enough height. I assume I could add a shield later ?

Thanks in advance, gonna be bending this up this weekend so I can get boiling !!! :D

Waynehere
02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I had a 2x3 pan with dividers and put the copper drop tubes in it. They do pop pretty high and we had a 10" high shield made to sit on top of the dividers inside the pan, which works well. It is 4 sided with the tops all angled in. Let me know if you want a pic. Not sure how 10" sides will work, but you would think the higher the better. :)

smokeyamber
02-22-2012, 12:46 PM
I had a 2x3 pan with dividers and put the copper drop tubes in it. They do pop pretty high and we had a 10" high shield made to sit on top of the dividers inside the pan, which works well. It is 4 sided with the tops all angled in. Let me know if you want a pic. Not sure how 10" sides will work, but you would think the higher the better. :)

So you added 10" on top of the normal height ? Sounds like I may do that. At this point it will be a flat pan and I hope to get some time to update it to drops, maybe before season's end. Time will tell on that. Looks like you are moving up in size big time ! good luck on this season and thanks for the feedback !

smokeyamber
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
So getting closer to bending the pans, the arch is mocked up and now it looks like the pan sides will be more like 10" inches high, when I look a the professional pans they seem higher than that. Is that to keep the foaming in the pan ? My only experience so far is with batching in 6" deep pans and I ran then 3-4 inches and only had modest splashing. Should I worry about this height ?

Housewright
02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I have a copper drop tube sap pan with 16" sides. it will easly get some splash out. This is mostly when first firing with raw sap. Once everything gets up to even temperature it settles down quite a bit. Also when it developes a little foam this helps too. you wont get too much foam in the sap pan.The first year I put a screen on top to knock down the occasional spurt.
I think you will be ok just be patient till the boil settles.
Have fun, we're all done here.

Greg Freeze
02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Would somebody care to post a pic of a pan with copper drop tubes?
I would be curious to see one. Thanks!

Greg

70 Buick
02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
hope this is what you are looking for

I attempted one with Stainless here are both pics