PDA

View Full Version : Canning Syrup

greenhill
03-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm wondering how best to preserve the syrup I've made. We finished a gallon or so last week and put it into pint mason jars and sealed in a hot water bath like we can other foods. Is another method recommeded?
Appreciated.

cheesegenie
03-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I put all mine in the freezer. Been doing it for years, if made right
it will hardly freeze and thaws out fast before using.

TR Hardwoods
03-19-2006, 05:07 PM
We put around 20-30 gals. up each year in pint and quart mason jars. No need to do the water bath. Just hot pack the syrup into jars and then invert the jars (make sure lids are on...hehe) for 5min. Then turn the jars upright and make sure all are sealed. This is now the same method that is recomended for cooked jams and jellies. I have some early vintages from the late 80's and they are still as good as the day they were made.

maple flats
03-19-2006, 05:40 PM
likewise. Just can it in clean jars that can seal, can at 180-200 degrees, invert the jar after tightening the cap and leave it upside down to sterilize the mouth and cap for at least 1 minute then wipe and spilled on the outside and store it like that. As long as the seal is good it will keep for many years. best if stored out of direct sunlight and at a cool temp like the cellar away from the furnace. It can be stored in the freezer but it will not freeze but cold help hold the flavor but Most people can not tell a 1 yr old bottle from a 20 yr old one by the taste. Also, while it cools after canning set them in a cool spot and do not set them tight against each other or you can get what is called stack burn which makes the color get darker.

greenhill
03-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks all for the responses. Never heard of stack burn before...have lots to learn. My wife is putting a finish boil on what should be about 1.5 gallons of syrup today. We will give the feedback a try.