PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think the trees will stop running and start budding soon?

delta757and767pilot
02-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Just wondering when it might all be over?

sapbrush
02-22-2012, 07:13 AM
hi in mass here most have just started tapping here ive been tapped in since feb 2nd, hasnt realy ran that good here yet, i belive the best has yet to come, the red seem to be budding a lil i dont tap reds the sugars are holding tight, good luck and hang in there Jim

hodorskib
02-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Last night the moths were in several buckets which for us usually means a week or two at most left. Hoping for cold weather or some huge runs. We have not even reached half of what we wanted which is 10 gallons and even put out an extra 25 buckets this year.

valleyman
02-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Yep, moths in some of my buckets down in Ansonia CT. Thats good observation about the moths. I also heard "pull em" when you hear peepers. I'll pay attention to both and see.

bunkerchump
02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes, I saw my first moths in Seymour today, too. I pulled the taps out of my two reds today. It was sad, because one of them was a solid producer, but the buds just seemed to be exploding. It is also right next to/ literally on the pond and since it is typically frozen this time of year, it may be coming to life quicker than normal. The other red was dry as a bone, anyway. I'm new at this, but have red enough on this site to be weary of budding. The sugars are holding ok here so far too.

Revi
02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
This does not bode well for us north of you. We only just started our season and you are pulling taps already. I have a feeling that this season may be short.

PerryW
02-24-2012, 05:13 PM
This does not bode well for us north of you. We only just started our season and you are pulling taps already. I have a feeling that this season may be short.

I still haven't even tapped a single tree yet. One of the other producers in my town hung 400 buckets 12 days ago on good-running dfield trees and has only collected 320 gallons of sap so far.

Tanta K
02-26-2012, 06:51 AM
When the sap turns yellow, the trees begin to bud, the peepers are heard from the pond, it's over. Thinking sometime this week for us in Hamden, it'll be over. Open House on Saturday, we'll teach about sugarin', sell what we made and close up shop. Weird season.

thecabinguy
02-26-2012, 06:41 PM
The reds are done. It got real cold last night and there still wasn't any sap. I can see the buds starting. It's a sad season. I didn't get much out of any of the red maples this year. I think the sap ran in the reds sometime in the middle of January. Sometimes nature doesn't cooperate with all your plans. I think next year I'm going to threaten a few with the chainsaw. That may encourage a little better effort. Maybe we'll actually have winter next year too.

lafite
02-26-2012, 07:01 PM
15 gallons today off of 78 taps. What I collected today is clear so I'm hoping for a boil on Tuesday with what I collect tomorrow.
season do date: 300 gallons of sap...5.5 gallons of syrup