PDA

View Full Version : directional tapping???????

SPILEDRIVER
02-21-2012, 09:10 PM
just out of curiosity which face/sides of the trees do you tap and why????

PerryW
02-21-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm in it got the long haul, so I don't give a preference to any particular side. I try to distribute the taps evenly over the years.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-22-2012, 03:51 AM
It is best to tap the OUT side of the tree. The IN side is much more difficult to get your spouts into. In all seriousness, use the entire circumference, just avoid dead spots and old taps. Some years the south or east may run better, some years the north or west. You won't know ahead of time any more than you will know what kind of a year you will have based on the amount of snow or temps in January.

spencer11
02-22-2012, 05:34 AM
i tap on the south or south-east side of the tree, cause when the sun is out thats where it hits the tree first and will thaw it first on that side.

spencer

02-22-2012, 05:56 AM
I don't have a preference because if you tap on the south side ya it thaws faster but it also heals faster the it is opposite for the north side.

spud
02-22-2012, 06:02 AM
My woods has not been tapped in 10 years and most of my trees are one tap trees. Most of my one tap trees have never been tapped. Because of this I tapped all my trees on the south side allowing them to get the early sun. For next year I will just do a 180 on all trees. Hope you have a great season.

Spud

wnybassman
02-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Over the years I find myself paying less attention to the side I tap. When it runs it seems the north is as good as any other side. Takes a bit longer to start, but that is good on the extended warm spells because it runs a little longer it seems. It all averages out. I still try to pay more attention to the big roots coming out of the ground, or what side of the tree the bulk of the branches are located overhead, but even that doesn't always hold true either.

DrTimPerkins
02-22-2012, 08:35 AM
It is best to tap the OUT side of the tree.

Nice answer. :lol:

SPILEDRIVER
02-22-2012, 02:08 PM
the outsides the best side YOU GOT ME ON THAT!!!