PDA

View Full Version : maple weekend

backyardsugarer
03-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I had a good turn out Saturday. We sold a lot of syrup and I had enough sap to boil. I do not expect too many people today since it is blustery and I have no sap to boil :( . It should be great from wed. on this week if the forecasters are correct.

Chris

Fred Henderson
03-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I am hopeing that the forecasters are right because I have not boiled for over a week.

super sappy
03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I went out to 3 sugar houses today. I learned a few things by looking at other peoples opperations. I think that the average jo off the street has a hard time with the filter aid process. I was standing in one sugar house talking to a friend and I noticed a group of smiling people walking toward the evaporator just as the owner was dumping filteraid into the syrup. Smiles went to wrinkled up lips. No one was explaining the process. I then went to another sap house and witnessed almost the exact same thing happen. It is really cool to be able to just go and check out all of the different opperations.I will plan on going to some different places next year.SS

mountainvan
03-19-2006, 06:12 PM
first year for me doing the weekend. yesterday was good for visitors and sales. today I had people calling at 7:30 am to hold syrup for when they came up. I had a page of photos taken saturday in the kingston paper today, that sent people out in droves. did'nt get lunch or able to sit from 7:30 till 5:00 so I'm very tired. sold a lot of syrup, sold out of cream and sugar. had folks from alaska take syrup back to fairbanks and a family from argentena get syrup. also had reporters from a couple other area papers up to be in their papers this week. all in all a very good experience.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Van,

Hope you get this beat so you will be 100% and can go at it full blast next year! :D
Still praying for you! :wink:

themapleking
03-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Cold temps didn't help. Atten was down but sales were up.
Erie county producers where left out of the news paper article. A lot of complantes about that.
We still had around 400+ peolpe show up. I did manage to milk out 500 gals of sap for two days.

backyardsugarer
03-20-2006, 12:04 PM
I have 2 quarts of syrup left and 1 bag of candy. What a 2 day stretch. I also had some people make special orders (for grade b if you can believe it). Now I need some weather so I can build my stock back up.

Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Can't beat the taste of grade B. I would take it over any other grade for myself and I have a lot of other people that say the same. I just have a hard time making it most of the time. :lol: :lol: :lol: