PDA

View Full Version : help with gravity 5/16????????

palmer4th
02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
So I ran 5/16 this year for the first time. I have about 12 taps on each run that go into a drum, I used leader end rings with a tap for the start of the line. The trees are large road side maples and the tubing is totally full! I was told tonight to put a vent on the start of the line so it will run better? I thought I had read that venting the line was bad? but to me it seems like it would stop the sap from locking and fighting to flow out of the full line? and tips?????

PerryW
02-21-2012, 09:54 PM
yes, venting is bad. Installing a vent may allow the lines to empty, but will prevent any natural vaccum and potentially introduce bacteria into the lines. It will also allow sap to escape is the lines are frozen downstream instead of allowing the pressure to help push the ice out. In a vented system, more air flows through the tubing, which means less room for sap flow.

If your laterals are full of sap, you can pull one tap to check for blockage. If sap squirts out, then you have a blockage of the line downstream (maybe ice or crap in the lines). If sap doesn't flow out of the tap, and is running into your drums, then everything is fine.

Not sure what the end rings are, but some of the end tree fittings seem to creat a sag in the lateral where it wraps around the end tree. I use a different method to prevent this.

sugar ED
02-21-2012, 10:36 PM
So I ran 5/16 this year for the first time. I have about 12 taps on each run that go into a drum, I used leader end rings with a tap for the start of the line. The trees are large road side maples and the tubing is totally full! I was told tonight to put a vent on the start of the line so it will run better? I thought I had read that venting the line was bad? but to me it seems like it would stop the sap from locking and fighting to flow out of the full line? and tips?????
I don't vent the line ,But I do try to keep my lines in the morning sun /SE side to help unfrezz the lines and keep cool in the afternoon .As long as ur using ( Clean)drops with tees ,and a down grade all the way to ur drum , and no leaks ,it should be fine !Some one on here mentioned that on a good warm spring day that the tree tap hole could produce about 22 lbs pressure ,but also a vacume of 7 below frezzing . So if total line, even drops ? where full of sap ,and the end of the line in drum was in sap???? than loss of sap and contamnation (can't spell /spell check don't work eather) may happen (but with mine the drops don't fill ) just the line . Hope this helps, Good Luck , Ed

Dave Puhl
02-22-2012, 08:31 AM
no dont vent..I have the same problem..check for sags, chewed lines, wood shavings...but when the trees start running good it will work ..

SevenCreeksSap
02-22-2012, 07:46 PM
I've had the same questions and seen the same thing and it can drive you crazy if you let it. just think about how little is actually in there if you drained it today. it will fill up again tomorrow, and the sap there tonight will get replaced with fresh sap. The more i think about it, it seems more logical that the full line will draw sap sooner with any natural vacuum than if the trees have to fill it again. You'll get it all in the end.