PDA

View Full Version : How to filter with a hobby kit from Sugar Bush Supply

Zachary Hoyt
02-21-2012, 06:03 PM
We have been filtering for the past few years with a set of old cone filters a friend gave us and a canning funnel, but this year I bought a kit from Sugar Bush Supply Co which is shown at the top of the page at:

http://www.sugarbushsupplies.com/2011_Catalog/filtertankscanningunits.pdf

The directions say to put it inside a covered pot , but when I got it today it had no provision to hang from the top, but it does have a hook about 2/3 down the basket under the handle which can be hooked over the edge of a small kettle. It hangs there fine but I can't see a way to cover it effectively since more than half of the basket is above the top of the kettle, and I wouldn't want to end up evaporating too much water out of the syrup. If anyone can tell me how to proceed I will be very grateful, as I am puzzled now. I have about a gallon of syrup to filter soon but I have it in a good cool storage location for now.
Zach

bmiller
02-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Hey Zachary, i got the same thing and what i do is just get one of my wifes big cooking pots that is the same diameter and just hook it on the edge and it just sits there .i only have around a gallon to filter at a time so usually 10 minutes tops for time it takes to filter using2 prefilters and the finish filter hope this helps

Zachary Hoyt
02-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you very much, that is good to know that it goes so fast. We have a couple of pots the right size, so I will go ahead and do it. Thanks a lot for the response.
Zach

buckeye gold
02-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I use a fryer basket and I put three long toggle bolts through the holes evenly around the pan. That way it sets level and you can get it deeper in the pan. I have a pot lid just the right size to cover the top of the strainer, that's enough to hold the heat in the syrup a little longer